上一主题:Reading 44: Market-Based Valuation: Price and Enterprise Val
下一主题:Reading 44: Market-Based Valuation: Price and Enterprise Val
返回列表 发帖

Analyst Ariel Cunningham likes using the price/earnings ratio for valuation purposes because studies have shown it is very effective at identifying undervalued stocks. However, she has one main problem with the statistic – it doesn’t work when a company loses money. So Cunningham is considering switching to a different core valuation metric. Given Cunningham’s rationale for using the price/earnings ratio, which option would be her best alternative?

A)
Price/book.
B)
Price/cash flow.
C)
Price/sales.

Book value is usually positive, but not always. Cash flow is often negative. If the reason Cunningham wants to stop using the P/E ratio is that it does not work for unprofitable companies, her best option is a ratio base on sales, which are positive in all but the rarest of instances.

Bill Whelan and Chad Delft are arguing about the relative merits of valuation metrics.

Whelan: “My ratio is less volatile than most, and it works particularly well when I look at stocks in cyclical industries.”

Delft: “The problem with your ratio is that it doesn’t reflect differences in the cost structures of companies in different industries. I like to use a metric that strips out all the fluff that distorts true company performance.”

Whelan: “People can’t even agree how to calculate your ratio.”

Which valuation metric do the analysts most likely prefer?

Whelan Delft

A)
Price/book EV/EBITDA
B)
Price/cash flow Price/book
C)
Price/sales Price/cash flow

The price/sales ratio is not very volatile, and it is of particular value when dealing with cyclical companies. The price/cash flow ratio considers the stock price relative to cash flows, ignoring the noncash gains and losses that can skew earnings. A major weakness of the price/cash flow ratio is the fact that there are different ways of calculating it, making comparisons difficult at times.

An analyst focusing mostly on financial stocks is likely to prefer valuing stocks via the:

A)
price/sales ratio.
B)
price/book ratio.
C)
dividend yield.

The price/book ratio is a preferred tool for valuing financial stocks.

返回列表
上一主题:Reading 44: Market-Based Valuation: Price and Enterprise Val
下一主题:Reading 44: Market-Based Valuation: Price and Enterprise Val