上一主题:Misfit Risk/Core Satellite/Completeness Fund Question
下一主题:Cash flow matching vs Multiple liability immunization
返回列表 发帖

Moving out of the MO

I was hoping someone may have some helpful tips out there.

I've been working in the MO of a major hedge fund for 3 years now in operations/trade support role. As much as I'd like to believe that an internal transfer would be the next step to the FO, it just doesn't seem like it's possible. I passed Level I in Dec and then just passed Level II in June. I'm really trying to get out of the operations pigeon hole b/c i've been working in ops for 6 years now and really need to find something in a FO capacity. Any ideas how to make this transition? Do you recommend using recruiters?

Your best bet is to get into a top 10 MBA. If that's not possible, I think you should start thinking of switching careers. That's the same boat I am in.

Exactly...i did the CFA b/c I am in the field that I want to be in. Let's face it, operations roles don't really give you the opportunity to build on one's analytical skills. I'm going to use the CFA as a spring board into a better job opportunity but the road isn't easy.

I just need to find a way to bridge the gap b/w the MO and FO...that's where I get lost.

tval: You just described me to a 't' except that I am still a L2 candidate. I have an MBA but because it's not even a top-100 program and my only experience (6.5 yrs) is BO, I too have had a very tough time making that transition. I expect that my time is coming and I need to be patient and focus on getting through the CFA program, but I have begun to look outside of my current firm for opportunities. I think you should definitely contact a headhunter and continue to look for a firm that appreciates and rewards your efforts rather than keeping you in ops. That's what I'm trying to do...good luck friend!

Yes, good luck to you all. But, I have a question that I just can't seem to get a good answer on....

After you move from BO/MO to FO, then what? I've heard a trader's career is capped at 40 years old...either you make enough to retire, keep coasting by making sure your P/L isn't bad enough to get fired...or you get fired! And, it's not like being trader will help you spring board to a cushion position at a F500 company...

talk to recruiters and hope for a better job market. just keep teaching yourslef as much as possible. evnetually the sun will come out again.

If you are trying to be a trader why are you taking the CFA? The CFA will by no means help you become a trader. If you're looking to trade then you need to start building relationships and working the system and your current fund.

sjv1030 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, good luck to you all. But, I have a question
> that I just can't seem to get a good answer
> on....
>
> After you move from BO/MO to FO, then what? I've
> heard a trader's career is capped at 40 years
> old...either you make enough to retire, keep
> coasting by making sure your P/L isn't bad enough
> to get fired...or you get fired! And, it's not
> like being trader will help you spring board to a