上一主题:equity: low P/E vs. high P/E
下一主题:Completion Portfolio vs. Completion Fund
返回列表 发帖

Data frequency and Asynchronism

This is from the CFAI text SS6 page 18. "Data of high frequency are more sensitive to asynchronism across variables. As a result, high frequency data tend to produce lower correlation estimates"

I looked up the definition of asynchronism online but still don't understand it.

a lack of synchronism or coincidence in time

Think about 2 time-series data (i.e - stock returns) for each of the following:

daily movements and monthly movements.

The daily movements of 2 stocks will be noisy and volatile (i.e - 1 day it gives +0.4% return, the next -0.6%, etc). When you measure the correlation of the 2 stock returns using daily data, it will likely be very low.

Monthly movements: this will be less noisy for the 2 stocks and more correlated to each other.

In general, the longer out your data, the more "smoothed" it is. That is why high-frequency data is very noisy (which they call asynchronous). Also, because of this noise, correlation will be very low.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, that makes sense now

I think it reveals the underlying issue between using more granular (high-frequency) data. It generalizes the difference between having a large data sample compared to a small one. Over a longer period of time, that close figure wouldn't really impact the rest of the time series as it's only 1 data point out of many, but if you have a small sample of data points, that 1 close figure can impact the data more severely.

Generally, high-frequency data is harder to obtain, so you have a smaller sample. That's how I think about it at least.

返回列表
上一主题:equity: low P/E vs. high P/E
下一主题:Completion Portfolio vs. Completion Fund