上一主题:swap discount factors...
下一主题:Correcting a trading mistake
返回列表 发帖

Correlation -1, add to portfolio?

If correlation of new asset with existing portfolio is -1, do you add it or not, using Sharpe ratio analysis. Also, can you have a negative Sharpe ratio...what would it mean?

-1 correlation basically means that you have the exact opposite of something else in your portfolio, which would include any alpha effect. So, you might want to add this asset to your portfolio to reduce risk.

ohai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> -1 correlation basically means that you have the
> exact opposite of something else in your
> portfolio, which would include any alpha effect.
> So, you might want to add this asset to your
> portfolio to reduce risk.

If the objective is to reduce risk without regards to return, then buy Rf.

I can positively assure you that there are traders out there that have negative Sharpe ratios that last for years. Go figure.

If r = -1 and the expected return is positive then you should always add it. If the expected return is negative it's not clear and depends on the expected returns of the rest of the portfolio and the variances. Realistically an r of -1 means you just have the opposite of your portfolio now, e.g., you own S&P 500 and the new asset is a deep ITM put which wouldn't help your portfolio

If Rf=5% and my current portfolio's E(Rp)=10% with STDp=20%. So, current Sharpe_p = 0.25 (for every 1% added risk, I get 0.25 extra return). If another asset has correlation=-1 with my portfolio, and it has E(Ra)=12%, and STDa=25%.

My portfolio's Sharpe is positive. If I add this new asset, and it gets the expected 12% return, my portfolio's return without the asset will be negative (they are negatively correlated), so how do I gain by adding the new asset?

I'm now starting to review PM and concepts like these are blurred in my mind.

You might not want to sell risky assets to reduce risk due to liquidity constraints.

You add the asset to portfolio if, Portfolio with asset Sharpe ratio > Portfolio without asset Sharpe ratio * correlation of asset with portfolio. Most of the case, adding asset with -ve correlation reduces risk.

返回列表
上一主题:swap discount factors...
下一主题:Correcting a trading mistake