上一主题:MBA Exemptions for CFA
下一主题:打算明年6月考一级,求指导啊
返回列表 发帖

Follow-up call to hiring firm 2 wks after interview?

Hello, I had an interview almost 2 weeks ago. It's for a job that I really want. I thought the interview went very well. They explained that they needed to finish their initial interviewing process and deliberations. What do people think about my calling to follow up? I think it would show that I am really interested, so that's a good thing. But can it be viewed negatively? Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.

Calling seems fine. 2 weeks is enough time.

Go for it...you've waited two weeks already. Have some respect for yourself!

Are you going to call HR, a headhunter, or the hiring manager...

You should call, but what you ask will be different.

If you're calling the hiring manager, that's best, but you might not be able to get to them, depending on the organization. If you are calling them, you might send an email beforehand, reminding them how much you enjoyed interviewing with them and point out two or three bullet points on what they seemed to most like about you, and/or anything you've thought about since then that you can bring to the table for them.

Then call the next day.

If you're calling HR, you can get a sense of where the process is, but there's not that much you can do to move things forward in your favor. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ask if there's anything you can/should do.

As for a headhunter, they're a bit like HR in that they tend to give you canned responses, but at least they benefit from placing you, so they may be more forthcoming with things you can do to help yourself get hired. If you get a negative from them, you might still ask if there is anything you can do to make yourself more attractive next time an opportunity like this comes up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Tuesday, August 16, 2011 at 01:05PM by bchadwick.

Thanks for the replies!

bchadwick, I have the phone number of one of the decision makers (he's the one who called me to set up the interview, then I met with 4 people including him. any one of these could be the direct manager -- they all have the same title.) Good advice, about sending an email and follow up with a call the next day. I did highlight some things in the thank-you email, but I can send similar points and include additional things that I can bring to the table. Thanks! This is exactly what I'll do.

The thing to remember is that as more people get interviewed, the actual job description and the managers' ideas of what they want can change over time. You may seem less attractive to them not because you performed badly in the interview, but because they have now changed their minds about what they really want, and you didn't get a chance to tell them how awesome you'd be in that new job description.

This is why reminding them of what you think they liked about you is powerful (at some level, you have to make an informed guess on this, but it's worth a shot). It's also why you also need to ask them again if what they are looking for has changed as they've been interviewing, so you at least get a chance to talk to them about how you (hopefully) can perform well in that new description.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Tuesday, August 16, 2011 at 01:43PM by bchadwick.

返回列表
上一主题:MBA Exemptions for CFA
下一主题:打算明年6月考一级,求指导啊