上一主题:Schweser Discounts
下一主题:Anticipatory changes in exchanges related to CFA
返回列表 发帖

Lost out on another job to an internal candidate

"Well Steely Dan everyone had positive things to say about you but we decided to go with someone internally."

FML. Huge waste of time. From now on, as soon as I hear the words "internal interest" in regards to a job I'm 100% not interested.

it's possible you may have been a interview filler

iteracom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it's possible you may have been a interview filler

I've been down that road before. Other than my OP, any advice for how to spot this b.s.?

Well if you have the requisite experience then you might as well try and go on all those interviews. If, however, you are trying to break in from a non-target background, they're most likely going to choose someone who has one but preferably both of the following:

1) Connections with other employees in the group
2) Good experience, education, etc.

At least this is how I view the recruitment process right now. Of course there are some exceptions but those are very few and far between.

You just gotta kill it that much more - as Mike Tyson once said, 'make them love you'.

I know it's tough - just hustle up and keep using them as opportunities to develop your interview skills.

I would much rather hire an internal if I know they get along well with the team. (assuming about the same qualifications as an external)

Personality is the wild card. you can gauge someone's technical abilities during interviews, but personality compatibility you discover over time. And hiring an outsider runs the gamble that they can put on a great show during interviews but totally suck as a person once you get to know them.

I'm sorry to hear about that interview outcome. Just keep at it and I'm sure you will find something.

Steely Dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> iteracom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > it's possible you may have been a interview
> filler
>
>
> I've been down that road before. Other than my
> OP, any advice for how to spot this b.s.?

You have to ask the interviewers whether they are interviewing internally. No matter how good the interview up to that point, if they say yes, you are 90% SOOL.

返回列表
上一主题:Schweser Discounts
下一主题:Anticipatory changes in exchanges related to CFA