上一主题:macroeconomic model estimate required return or risk premium
下一主题:Band 10 and scored 70% Ethics and they Failed me
返回列表 发帖

Economicn Pension Expense Q

Folks,
see below a fairly easy Eco Pension Expense Q; It is nto this Q i am worried about but wghich formula(s) to learn??
Federal Companies reported the following information in the footnotes to its most recent financial statements:
PBO $65,000,000
Ending PBO 90,000,000
Service Cost 27,000,000
Interest Cost 3,000,000
Benefits Paid 5,000,000
Actual Return on Plan Assets 7,500,000
Expected Return on Plan Assets 8,500,000
Given the information above, calculate Federal?|s economic pension expense for the year.
A) $41,000,000.
B) $22,500,000.
C) $27,500,000.
The correct answer was B) $22,500,000.
Economic pension expense = service cost + interest cost ?V actual return on plan assets + plan ammendments
Ok, but I also have the following formulas for Economic pension expense which do not come up wIth thE same answer???
1)
Change PBO
-benefits
-Actual Rtn
+ plan amendments
Im not happy?o

Change in PBO is (90 - 65) = 25. No idea if you second formula is right.
Another way to calculate Economic Pension Expense is: Change in funded status - contributions

The other formula should be:
Change in PBO + Benefits paid - Actual return on Plan assets
Benefits paid increase economic pension expense.
Expense = Actual cash paid + accrued amount.
Accrued amount is reflected as increase in liability (PBO).
Expense is offset by ACTUAL return on plan assets.

if you like the change in funded status-contribs way, here we are not given enough info to do it that way.
With the change in PBO way, you get that the PBO went up 25, then you ADD back benefits paid because these were DEDUCTED in going from beginning PBO to ending PBO, because paying benefits decreases the obligation that you owe. Then deduct actual return to offset your expense. Hope that helps.
I think the easier way is: service cost 27 + interest cost 3 - 7.5 actual return = 22.5, but what if they leave out other things that make up the PBO like amortized prior service cost etc…

返回列表
上一主题:macroeconomic model estimate required return or risk premium
下一主题:Band 10 and scored 70% Ethics and they Failed me