Schweser Qbank question #88531

Context: A floating rate bond with
Dollar value = $30million
Spread over LIBOR = 0.50%
Time to Maturity = 1 year
Cap strike rate = 6%
Floor strike rate = 5%
Interest payments
Part 2) Miller asks Johnson to hedge a hypothetical short position in above floating rate bond. Which of the following is the best hedge for this position?
A) Sell an interest rate cap
B) Buy an interest rate floor
C) Buy an interest rate cap
Your answer: B was incorrect. The correct answer was C) Buy an interest rate cap.
An interest rate cap provides a positive payoff when interest rates are above the cap strike rate. Therefore, the buyer of this instrument is able to hedge himself against rising interest rates.
Incorrect answer explanations:
Selling an interest rate cap is not a hedge against rising interest rates.
Buying an interest rate floor hedges the risk of decreasing interest rates
I dont understand. Doesn’t a SHORT position in a floating rate bond mean I am receiving floating rate payments and hence would want to hedge against decreasing interest rates? Or am I overthinking this??

no, a short position in a floating rate bond means i am paying floating rates.

Right smiley! to hedge a short float, pay float, you need to protect the IR with a cap
Sell A Float: Enter into contract to PAY float
Buy A Float: receive float
*i try to think of everything as long and if a question says short, just take opposite

Thanks guys.. not sure why I thought that? ~Sigh! Seems pretty clear to me now..

I had a similar confusion when I first read the question .
To simplify:
Short a bond means paying the rate
Long a bond means receiving the rate.
I know the latter , so I guess the way to remember the former is to invert the latter

right, thats the way i do it - if i’m gonna invest and go long in a bond, i’ve bought the bond and i am receiving the coupons - short is the other way around

返回列表
上一主题:Schweser FRA Market Value Equation
下一主题:CFA Reading 71, Question 9