返回列表 发帖

difference in revenue recognition policies of 2 companies

My question is whether an analyst can use the information in the financial statement disclosures to adjust the financial statements for differences in revenue recognition policies.

Schweser Q Bank has below question:
Question 2 - 100937
LOS 32 b part 3

Jerry Krome, CFA, is an equity analyst. The head of research at Krome’s firm composes a memo that contains the following statements:

To the extent that management has discretion over the firm’s revenue recognition, an analyst should consider policies that recognize revenue later to be more conservative than policies that recognize revenue sooner.
When comparing the performance of companies, an analyst can use the information in the financial statement disclosures to adjust the financial statements for differences in revenue recognition policies.
With regard to the implications of revenue recognition policies for financial analysis, Krome should agree with:

A) both of these statements.
B) neither of these statements.
C) only one of these statements.

(Your answer: A was incorrect. The correct answer was C) only one of these statements.

Because revenue recognition often relies on judgment and estimates from management, it is not always possible to calculate the appropriate adjustments that would account for the differences between companies’ revenue recognition policies. An analyst should use the policies disclosed in companies’ financial statement footnotes to understand the degree to which their revenue recognition is conservative or aggressive. In general, recognizing revenue sooner is considered aggressive and recognizing revenue later is considered conservative.)

My thinking was that since revenue recognition principles are shown in the footnotes, analyst can use them in comparing other companies. Isn't it? I undertstand that footnotes may not provide ' all ' the information , but still it can be used.

This is a small query , nothing fundamental in it , but still how could one decide which one is true especially when two of the answers (A) or (C) look correct?

Thanks

返回列表