上一主题:Job Type
下一主题:Finance Atrophy
返回列表 发帖

More designations or back to school?

Let's assume the long term career goal for most of us engaged in the CFA program is to perform investment research and/or manage money. Let's also assume that with all the hard work we're putting into this beast, there is eventually a light at the end of the tunnel, and we all pass. Then what? Does it make sense to spend another 2-3 years going back for an MBA? Or, do other designations like the FRM and CAIA add any additional value? Love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Get your MBA. Much higher value than any other non-CFA or non-CPA designation, IMHO.

I look at it this way. I want to maximize my net present value. If I'm not working, this becomes much more difficult.

But I also want a job that I like. Maybe I need to earn credentials or degrees for this. Maybe the badge-earning process requires I don't work.

The MBA seems to me to have the greatest payoff, but it also takes the most time and effort. It may be that a CAIA has a higher NPV in terms of payoff for the time spent earning it. However, the CAIA will constrain your options much more than the MBA.

That said, you may also consider any debt/cost effects of the MBA route. It may be that the MBA is too expensive, and takes too much time, especially since you want to work in investment alternatives.

More important than any of these badges is getting the right job, which is something altogether different from earning badges. It may be that the time spent working toward getting the right job has a higher NPV than blindly earning badges.

That said, I'm a blind badge earner too (MBA/CFA/ASA/JD). I don't really know what I want to do, but I'm making damn sure I'm qualified for it when I do know... haha. cheers and good luck. I'd do the MBA if it's not too expensive and you can still work while you do it.

返回列表
上一主题:Job Type
下一主题:Finance Atrophy