上一主题:Some advice
下一主题:Low coupon isues vs Higher coupon on Mortgage Passthrough
返回列表 发帖

Certified Financial Planner (CFP)

I am just curious if anyone has this certification or knows anything about it. If so, how hard is it compared to the CFA, how prestigious? Is it an easy exam after the complete CFA curriculum.

As a side note - passing level I did not seem to improve my chances of getting a job as far as I can tell. No one seems to care about it at all. Whenever I bring it up at interviews, people generally ignore it entirely and move on. I also know people with lower GPAs and no CFA who get jobs over me...interesting economy. Probably not going to sit for level II this year.

The CFP compared to the CFA in terms of prestige and especially dificulty is like comparing Hooked on Phonics to a Masters in English. The CFP is more expensive over a shorter period (usually like 3 to 5 grand depending on how you do it), and it can be completed in under a year. I know a few people who failed miserably on L1 and passed their CFP.

Not to knock it too much, its essentially apples and oranges. If you want to be client facing and work as a financial planner its a good thing to have, but if isn't really all that applicable to most CFA career paths.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 04:19PM by EastCoastJ.

CFP is way different than the CFA program.
I am a financial advisor mainly selling personal insurance and mutual funds for a financial company. lots of the people in this field have CFP. CFP is a credential if you want to persue financial sales (for individuals and families) as a career. It is relatively much easier to obtaing than passing CFA exams.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 06:53PM by passme.

返回列表
上一主题:Some advice
下一主题:Low coupon isues vs Higher coupon on Mortgage Passthrough