上一主题:Which calculator should I use for the exam?
下一主题:CFA Mock Exam - Ouch..
返回列表 发帖

Possible to pass Level I with 4 months of studying?

I want to take the level I exam in June, but i can't start studying until late january due to business school applications. Ideally, i can get into a school and have level I under my belt before i start, so it will improve my chances of landing a job in investment management. I know the standard study time is 6 months, and i did not study finance or accounting in school, so 4 months would be pushing it. A co-worker told me 4 months is possible, but i basically wouldn't have a social life.

That is plenty of time. Go for it.

iteracom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yes, it's plenty of time

How many hours/day of study would you recommend for 4 months? about 3 hours a day?

4 months is plenty of time but study time is different for everyone depending on your background, study strategy, and overall ability to retain a lot of material. I started studying beginning of August and am taking the exam in 2 weeks. I have logged ~180 study hours and feel that I am in a good position with 2 weeks of studying to go. But then again I just graduated with an undergrad finance degree in May, so I was able to fly through certain sections. Don't focus so much on hours but rather keeping on pace with your study schedule.

Yes, I think it's enough time. I will have studied for 4 months for this upcoming Dec. exam, and I have no background in finance or accounting either, and I do believe I will be well prepared (can't say for sure until I write it though!).

If you work 8 hours a day, and then have to come home and put in at least 3 hours/day that obviously means a lot of your social life will be gone...but I think if you practice good time management you can still find a way to fit some free time in.

I work full time and started studying for the December exam August 20th. Put in about 2.5 hours every weekday and 3-5 hours every Saturday and Sunday (~20hr/week).

Needless to say I haven't been out much the last 3 months, but I do feel well prepared and ready for the exam.

4 months is plenty in my opinion. Just got to be disciplined about making time every day.

Plenty of time.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been busting my butt off on b-school essays and the 2 math classes i'm taking through UCLA's online extension program. So diving straight into the CFA right after that will be a pain in the butt. But hopefully it will all pay off. B-school will be the best 2 years of my life so keeping my fingers crossed.

I think some of the elan guides like econ, quantitative methods, equity, fix income should save you tons of time rather than reading the CFA curriculum. I would suggest you read the curriculum for ethics and FSA. Do all of the EOC problems once you are done with each topic. I am in the same boat as you with only 4 months to study after I got the society scholarship. I would recommend studying on the weekend or when you are not so exhausted because I tend to remember things a lot better that way. Its not just how much hours you put in but the quality of those study hours.

4 months should be enough. I started in Jan for the June exam and had about a month to review in the end. Go with Elan and use the CFA books for ethics, EOC questions and summaries. Bschool will be awesome! Good luck with the apps.

返回列表
上一主题:Which calculator should I use for the exam?
下一主题:CFA Mock Exam - Ouch..