上一主题:Commodity forward price with lease payment
下一主题:derivative: roll yield and convenience yield
返回列表 发帖
Hey everyone,

I don't think this is an overly difficult part of the curriculum, I just can't seem to get my head around it. What is spread duration exactly? I know that a portfolio of treasuries has zero spread duration, a corporate portfolio has a spread duration equal to the effective duration of the portfolio, and a portfolio with both treasuries and corporates will have a spread duration of less than the effective duration.

Is literally all I need to know that corporate bonds have a spread duration= to the effective duration? And that if there is a portfolio with both corporates and treasuries, I would just go about calculating portfolio duration the same way as before, except using a zero value for the weight of the portfolio that is made up of treasuries?

Just seems an odd notion to me I guess...

Thanks

All I know is spread duration is the change in spread over the change in rates and is used as a measure of credit risk. But, spreads can change even without changes in interest rates due to market perception of a particular sector/company.

NO EXCUSES

Yeah, I suppose it was just a complicated way of saying that corporate bond duration is a function of more than just interest rates and time horizon. I'll wing it I guess.

Thanks

This really tripped me up on the CFAI 2011 Mock (spoiler alert)

Question 33, regarding tracking error: I don't understand- why is there more tracking error from the different contributions of spread duration? Corporates have a different spread duration in the portfolio from the index. But Treasuries have a larger difference in the actual duration. Why isn't this difference in duration more important than the difference in spread duration? Thanks for any illumination on this!

That's worth another point then. Hello 85%.

spread duration is just duration for fixed rates. this is a measure used in my experience with floating rate debt.

i shouldve pointed out the assumption of credit risk, my fault and im sorry if i confused anyone.

Errata. That totally makes sense now. Thank you!

返回列表
上一主题:Commodity forward price with lease payment
下一主题:derivative: roll yield and convenience yield