上一主题:Treynor Black CFAI EOC
下一主题:Individual IPS CFAI book calc questions
返回列表 发帖

plain vanilla interest rate swap

Assume that you are analyzing a plain vanilla interest rate swap with the following characteristics:
Counterparty X : Counterparty Y pay fixed rate 6% : pay floating rate LIBOR + 0.5% receive floating rate LIBOR + 0.5% : receive fixed rate 6% Swap tenor: 10 years Notional principal: $1,000,000 LIBOR0: 4.75%
If this were an "in-advance" swap, Counterparty X would make its first fixed rate payment at the time the swap is negotiated. The amount of the payment would be:

A. $60,000
B. $52,500
C. $57,279.24

The question is worded oddly.

Y pays fixed - 60000
X pays floating - 52500

I think the answer is B.
They would normally be netted though, so the actual payment would be from Y - 7500.

fixed rate payment = 1 Million * 6% = 60K? A

CP

I thought it said Y pays fixed?
"Counterparty Y pay fixed rate 6%"

I'm having trouble reading the question. Was it originally in chart form?

Yeah I am having understanding the question too.
If X is paying fixed - X pays 6% of 1mn ie 60K, whereas if it pays floating it pays 5.25% of 1mn - 52500. And jblamb is correct, the money exchange should be ideally only the difference in interest rates.

Counterparty X : Counterparty Y
pay fixed rate 6% : pay floating rate LIBOR + 0.5%
receive floating rate LIBOR + 0.5% : receive fixed rate 6%

Swap tenor: 10 years
Notional principal: $1,000,000
LIBOR0: 4.75%

I think this is the actual format of the question. With X's terms on one side and Y's terms on the other

ie. CP is right

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Sunday, October 25, 2009 at 01:39PM by jblamb.

Is this question possible in real life given that we use beginning floating rate and ending fixed rate to compute the difference? We would not know the ending fixed rate!

I also have problem at understanding the question. Could you please cite the source of that question?

返回列表
上一主题:Treynor Black CFAI EOC
下一主题:Individual IPS CFAI book calc questions