上一主题:CASH FLOW REINVESTMENT TRADES-SS9
下一主题:Equity Q
返回列表 发帖

Effective Capital Gains Tax

Hey All,

First time poster here. I wanted to ask about this because neither Schweser nor the CFA curriculum deemed it necessary to explain this further. Clearly they thought a smart Level 3 candidate should be able to figure this out, but this apparently isn't the case for me.

The formula (taking Schweser's notation):
Tecg = Tcg * ((1 - Pi - Pd - Pcg) / (1 - (PiTi + PdTd + PcgTcg))

Numerator is investment income percentage from unrealized capital gains. Denominator is 1 minus the total realized tax rate.

I may be missing something obvious here, but how does this formula lead to the effective capital gains tax rate?

Thanks in advance for any insight,
HoJoon

markCFAIL, thanks for your response.

I understand conceptually that the effective cap gains tax rate should be lower than the stated cap gains tax rate because we're not counting the taxes that's already been realized/paid.

But my question is more specific to the formula, how does dividing the income percentage from unrealized capital gains by 1 minus the total realized tax rate and multiplying by stated cap gains rate equal the effective cap gains rate?

I think maybe I'm getting tripped up by the denominator 1 minus the total realized tax rate, struggling to grasp what that means conceptually.

Thanks again.

what does it matter? just memorize it, then forget it after the test. If a conceptual question happens to be asked you should be able to back out the answer by knowing the formula

返回列表
上一主题:CASH FLOW REINVESTMENT TRADES-SS9
下一主题:Equity Q