上一主题:REIT ER, sell side, interview questions
下一主题:duration hedging - how to change a duration of portfolio
返回列表 发帖

Fixed Income Interview

Hey all,

I am invited to an interview for a front-office position.
What should I review ? I am thinking about reading material from CFA level I and II.
I am concerned about the market : it is easy to find equity market news but what about fixed income ? Ok there is a lot of stuff about Sovereign debts but otherwise ? Where can I read a bit about CDO and ABS ? Corporate bonds, CDS...

What sector and strategy?

I'll post more later, but search here there are some good posts.

I do not know yet about strategies : it is a kind of graduate program where you spend time on all the desks. So I just know on which products they work : "Swaps, Gov Bonds, ABS, Credit Bonds, Options, Complex Risk, Product Development and Structuring"

btw I do not know what they mean by "product development" and "complex risk"...

Why are they interested in you? It's a serious question. Given the little information we have (i.e. your post) they don't want you for your fixed income knowledge. Or, you need to ask much more specific questions.

^ I agree. Maybe you were brought in as filler, because they already have someone they want?

wow does that sounds bitter or am I misunderstanding since my English is not that good ?

@iteracom : deadline was the 15th of March and they call me the 16th... I know for sure they did not start reviewing application before the deadline... And paying the plane ticket of a filler would be a kinda stupid...
It is a graduate position btw, not an associate position....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Sunday, March 20, 2011 at 05:52PM by Loup_Fenrir.

Where is the interview (as in which country)?

It is in Europe but that's not the point of this thread...
I just wanted to find website about specific topics... (e.g ABS market news...)

Your research skills are finely honed Lupe, go forth and be hired.

More seriously, I would guess for a rotational program like this (never been in an IV for one, but have had sector/strategy specific interviews), a general understanding of basic concepts like duration, yields, how rates/spreads/options/other components impact bond pricing. Understanding treasuries, how monetary policy and other topics relate to pricing would be about as in-depth as you'd be expected to go. Reviewing L2 is probably where I'd start, I'd guess you won't need stuff like bootstrapping but a refresher on it won't hurt. Good luck dude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Monday, March 21, 2011 at 10:35AM by jcole21.

My dear friend, you have asked some of the most vague questions about fixed income possible. In the interest of helping you I have tried to ask follow up questions to better identify your needs since you do not seem interested in getting specific. It may not be the point of the thread which country you're interviewing in, but anything helps.

Help us help you. Ask some specific questions.

返回列表
上一主题:REIT ER, sell side, interview questions
下一主题:duration hedging - how to change a duration of portfolio