上一主题:How to use the CFA to break into finance
下一主题:Chartered Accountant (Ontario) & CFA
返回列表 发帖

Another program after cfa?

Hi guys

I completed L3 last Summer und now, after a one year break without additional studies, am thinking about doing something in addition to my CFA-Charter. I work in the field of asset management and am focused on FI- as well as EQ-Options (Market Neutral Option Strategies). From the programs available, I guess FRM, CAIA, CQF are the most renown ones, however, do they really make sense after having completed the CFA? I do not plan to work in the field of Risk Management (FRM), am currently not exposed to AI (CAIA) and am also not to much involved in quant stuff (CQF). From that standpoint, is there any program somebody can recommend? One of those mentioned or maybe something totally different? At the moment I feel like maybe go for FRM, but still would be very thankful for any further oppinions.

Regards

I was in a similar position as you, and am doing a research Masters part-time, which I'm hoping to convert to a Doctorate after a year.

After finishing the CFA last year I just wasn't too keen for any more exams and the idea of doing some research seemed like a good change and a nice challenge.

im in the boat where i KNOW there are TONS of people making BANK without an MBA or CFA.

so i figure the CFA (which is considered the gold standard in my field, ER) is enough in addition to my finance undergrad and now its just about becoming the best at what i do, end of story.

no amount of credentials will help you make money if you're not actually good at your job, which is where my focus is aimed for the foreseeable future.

instead of studying for exams, im just studying Ks, Qs, and data

Thanks for your advice, so far. I feel like FRM or CAIA could be low hanging fruit after CFA, so why not go for them? Any comments on that? Am I wrong? Anybody seen an employer demanding both?

I agree with builders...unless you're looking for more certifications just for the pursuit of knowledge and unless the certification is critical to your career progression, just focus on being the best you can be at your job. That's how you move ahead.

-----
Contact me for resume/cover letter review, interview prep, or career advisory services
numi.advisory@gmail.com

CMT has often crossed my mind. Not for the letters, which I don't think carry much weight, but I think the material can be useful.

supacharja Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can say, without a doubt, that
> obtaining the FRM designation was monumentally
> more challenging than obtaining the charter.

I know the FRM is a quantitative focused designation and am interested in taking it.
You used a huge word to describe the process - it used to be a one level exam - so I am just curious. Can you please elaborate a little. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Wednesday, June 15, 2011 at 11:22PM by skycfa.

Don't believe the FRM is that difficult. Lots of people did it at my firm inbetween levels of CFA and said they didn't need much time to study - this was when it was one level. Lots of VaR related stuff. I bookended the CAIA around CFA level 2. I almost did the FRM but just missed the cut off before it went to two exams and I thought better of it.

bchadwick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CMT has often crossed my mind. Not for the letters, which I don't think carry much weight, but I think the material can be useful.

Me too, especially after having recently talked with a few people who I was surprised to find recommended taking the exams. Technical analysis is much more prevalent than people want to give it credit for imo and it's an established way to look at the markets, I think CMT probably gives you a lot of bang for your buck as far as these kinds of exams go.

Does anybody know any other noteworthy programs? So far just heard of caia, frm, cqf, cmt. Somebody got some other ideas?

返回列表
上一主题:How to use the CFA to break into finance
下一主题:Chartered Accountant (Ontario) & CFA