上一主题:GIPS - Fee and Expense
下一主题:Reading on accruals in SS7
返回列表 发帖

Mock Exam Error re Treynor Black?

According to the solution to problem 60 in the afternoon mock, in the TB model the weight of each security in the active portfolio depends on its alpha, beta and specific risk. In every treatment of TB I’ve seen, including CFAI v. 6, p. 534, equation 9, the weights only depend on alpha and the specific risk, not beta.
Anyone care to comment?

Thanks… that’s pretty lame of them if you ask me…

Me too got it wrong. Trick!!

Somewhere buried in the TB reading is a calculation in order to find the weighted average beta.

Yes, but that is for finding the weights on the passive portfolio as a whole and the active portfolio as a whole. It does not concern the weights on the individual securities within the active portfolio.

Wrong, you use beta with CAPM to get the required return on the stock for alpa

Yes, but that isn’t the point I was responding to. The weighted average beta that bpdulog was referring to is used in the manner I described. It isn’t used to find the weights of the individual securities within the active portfolio.
With regards to the exam question, customarily when someone says x depends on y, they mean that it is an explicit relation, not implicit, which is why I think the CFA answer is lame.

Got me too… I marked that answer with confidence and was pissed when I saw I was wrong.
Realized june’s comment after the fact… need beta for to calc alpha

Try telling the manager of a market-neutral hedge fund that his returns depend on beta and see how that goes!

haha cpk123 would be PISSED if he saw this post

返回列表
上一主题:GIPS - Fee and Expense
下一主题:Reading on accruals in SS7