上一主题:What is the best way to learn quant formulas
下一主题:Probability question ... please explain
返回列表 发帖

Overnight rate question

If a country’s economy is growing at an unsustainably rapid rate and the central bank decreases its target overnight interest rate, the country’s:
A)
inflation rate is likely to increase.
B)
long-term rate of economic growth will increase.
C)
expected rate of inflation is likely to decline.
I choose the wrong answer, but couldn’t explain the right one? Somebody pl help me in this question?

i would think its A. my reasoning being:
reducing the overnight interest rate allows funds to be borrowed cheaper…and is considered a stimulant…in an already growing economy further policy to promote growth and borrowing will ultimately lead to inflation
let me know if im right

From the Federal Reserve website: A higher discount rate can indicate a more restrictive policy, while a lower rate may be used to signal a more expansive policy.

I thought you increase rates when the economy is over heating? But assuming the question really means decreasing rates, most likely the answer is A here.

yeah this is drilled in by schweser/andy holmes during the lectures and showing the graphs..the idea of overheating and continuing to overheat regardless of the current situation..holmes uses the example of some politicians promoting doing this leading up to elections when it is unnecessary because they want to continue unsustainable growth, which eventually just leads to an inflationary environment..its not so much of a bad question/counter intuitiveness as much as just trying to make sure u get that u cant just keep pushing growth without any consequences

The right answer is A. tks for your support.

返回列表
上一主题:What is the best way to learn quant formulas
下一主题:Probability question ... please explain