上一主题:Is class room training required for CFA level III
下一主题:Can portfolio risk be reduced to zero?
返回列表 发帖

Computer Skills Required for Analysts

For you analysts out there, what types of software do you use on a daily basis? Also would you consider yourselves experts with it? Also what is needed for risk management, ER, etc.?

tyler4040 wrote:
For you analysts out there, what types of software do you use on a daily basis? Also would you consider yourselves experts with it? Also what is needed for risk management, ER, etc.?
Top 3 in order of importance:
1. Excel
2. Excel
3. Excel
Anything else will depend on the products you’re working on and specific role. Also, there really aren’t any industry standards in this business, different firms use different systems whether homegrown or from a third party.
Some possibilities are Bloomberg, Factset, Reuters 3000/Eikon, POINT, Yieldbook, Bondedge, Intex. Most of these are fixed income centric but I’m sure someone can chime in with some Equity stuff, maybe some of the S&P products.

Excel - there are some great video tutorials from lynda.com that I used in order to familiarize myself with the shortcuts & the new features.

I think ti is helpful to know VBA.  I wish I knew more about VBA.  Also, knowledge of the bloomberg terminal is good as well.

Excel w/ no keyboard, VBA and possibly this “R” I keep hearing about.  Anything else will tend to be job specific and you’ll learn it there.

Excel with no keyboard????  What is R?

I’ve spent several years as a sell-side and buy-side research analyst, and also some time in private equity/leveraged buyouts too. I can say that the most commonly used software really is Excel. We also used FactSet, CapitalIQ and Bloomberg, but obviously none of these require any advanced technical skills and can be learned on the job.

chibwack wrote:
Excel w/ no keyboard, VBA and possibly this “R” I keep hearing about.  Anything else will tend to be job specific and you’ll learn it there.
Whoops hah, I meant no mouse.

I hate to repeat but Excel, how to decipher news, and use a research platform are the basics.  By the way I work with a TR Eikon platform and if you can do without the Bloomberg messenger you would be pleasantly surprised at its capabilities at a significantly reduced cost. PM if you have any specific questions.

chibwack wrote:
chibwack wrote:
Whoops hah, I meant no mouse.
haha. excel with no keyboard, I’d like to see that one.

返回列表
上一主题:Is class room training required for CFA level III
下一主题:Can portfolio risk be reduced to zero?