Board logo

标题: front office jobs [打印本页]

作者: himanshumh    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16     标题: front office jobs

hey guys,

I am currently working a middle office position as a Risk Analyst and would eventually like to make the jump to front office (ideally sales and trading). I have a BComm and have passed level 1 of CFA and hope to pass level 2 this June. I was wondering if any of you out there had any advice on how I could achieve this as I am fully aware how competitive these front office positions are. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
作者: maryli    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

I'm in pretty much the same boat - MO Structured Finance position. I passed L1 last summer and sitting for L2 this June. I'm looking to move into a FO role, asset management.

I don't think getting the CFA charter will really help at all in S&T. It can't hurt though. Best of luck.

m

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Wednesday, February 9, 2011 at 11:32AM by mep_cfa'10.
作者: chandsingh    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

Hi dude. I've seen a fair number of people move from MO to FO. What will be useful to you will depend on what firm you work for. In my group, for instance, I would argue that the CFA would be useful. The reason is that there are people in sales and trading here (sales especially...) who have attempted to do the CFA and have failed. So, if a MO person here were to pass the CFA, that is one point towards showing that they have the competency to do the new job. Obviously, other qualities will matter also, as well as how well you get along with people in the FO group.

That was a bit of a tangent though. What I'm trying to say is that you should know the specific qualities that are valued by the people in the group that you want to move to. Then, try to reflect those qualities when you bring up your desire to move. In any case, good luck.
作者: RMontgomery    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

CFA will get you respek......but alot of top firms still want MBA from top 20 schools.
作者: 19831985    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

^ for banking or PE maybe. For something like Equity Research, heck no
作者: troymo    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

@ iteracom

I am working as an IT Business Analyst consultant with banks and appearing for L2 in June. I am gearing up for Equity Research position in a year's time...do you think I am being realistic? I have 9 months of experience as a Equity Research Analyst following banking stocks.
作者: bolligerallstar    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

first you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the respect!!!!
作者: tianxin    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

Howcome so many people on this forum are IT doods trying to switch to Finance, usually Indian doods
作者: xilinx_altera    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

Magic sky is starting to flip.
作者: wilslm    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

What kind of firm do you work for? And how much do you make as a Risk Analyst there?
作者: ppls    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

mainem2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I work for TD Securities and it's $56K plus bonus.
> No complaints about the money, I just want to do
> something more relevant.

In India or in the States??
作者: madaochenggong    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

I doubt that you will get $56k+ in India.
作者: Uranus08    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

It's in Canada actually. In Toronto.
作者: CPATrader    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

how big is the bonus?
作者: yalo    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

pawn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how big is the bonus?

lol you really care how much some random guy on the internet makes?
作者: neil1234    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

Is it after tax or pre tax and what is the tax?
What is the "normal" salary in us or canada for ordinary finance analyst, what is the range of salaries?
lets assume an analyst is not from managerial staff because it is significantly depends on the person itself

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 11:08PM by Vyentil.
作者: sameeragarwal    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

Is the salary before or after depreciation? Did you securitize any of your salary as receivables?
作者: eoin    时间: 2011-7-11 19:16

but to answer the question, not a huge bonus, like $3k

欢迎光临 CFA论坛 (http://forum.theanalystspace.com/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2