Board logo

标题: Question on Currency rate convention [打印本页]

作者: pimpineasy    时间: 2011-7-11 19:39     标题: Question on Currency rate convention

So for Level III, the CFA uses only the direct quote as far as I've seen. I have a question on the convention used though...

Let's say you're a US company, with operations in the eurozone. You expect to receive 1,000,000 euros in 3 months. The current 3-month forward quote is 1.50 USD/EUR. If you want to fully hedge, is the convention that you would go long or short the 1.50 USD/EUR contract?
作者: wake2000    时间: 2011-7-11 19:39

short euros in the contract
作者: Roflnadal    时间: 2011-7-11 19:39

you only need to choose long or short the foreign currency no matter the quote method
作者: jmh530    时间: 2011-7-11 19:39

Just think of it more as do you want to buy currency or sell currency. If I have Yen and I am a US investor, I don't want Yen, I want to sell Yen for dollars. So I'll sell Yen contracts. Or I can buy U.S. contracts, which is the same thing because I am selling my yen and buying U.S. dollars.
作者: bodhisattva    时间: 2011-7-11 19:39

Abushey, I get what you're trying to ask.

I think I'll think of it as being offered 1.5 USD for 1 EUR. therefore, I'll go short on the contract. (selling 1 EUR for 1.5 USD)

though i may be wrong. I just hope they ask us in plain language which currency to short!

欢迎光临 CFA论坛 (http://forum.theanalystspace.com/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2