Board logo

标题: Earning Quality and Conservative Accounting Policy [打印本页]

作者: noel    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33     标题: Earning Quality and Conservative Accounting Policy

From what I've read, I understand the degree of conservatism should not be used as a measure of earning quality, because accruals revert faster with more aggressive policies. For example, double-declining method doesn't result in lower earning quality compared to straight-line. But I've seen many practice exams saying aggressive accounting leads to lower earning Q (ex. Schweser Vol2 exam 2AM #28)

High accrual ratios, securitization, and off-balance accounting are a sign of low earning quality. But what about depreciation method or R&D capitalization?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Friday, May 27, 2011 at 11:19AM by zestzorb.
作者: Sportsman    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33

SL deprec is more aggressive than DDB. Capitalizing R&D, which should be expensed usually, is probably pretty aggressive. Not sure if that answers your question.
作者: yodacaia    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33

No, depreciation method choice is fine as long as they are consistent with it. But the main problem is manipulating estimates such as salvage and useful lives.
作者: defour44    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33

zestzorb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does accounting conservatism, such as depreciation
> method, affect earning quality?

this is like the whole point of FRA. accounting choices effect earnings quality. and analyst job is to analyze these choices and effects.

if I am taxi driver and i depreciate my car for 7 years, then i magically say it will last 50 years and i will depreciate it over 5 decades, how good is my earnings quality?
作者: redskins44    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33

Thanks Dreary and prophets. So we can conclude that accounting methods play no role but what's important is the accounting estimates.
作者: zhaoyp    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33

ofc accounting methods play a role... if i account for a security as held for trading and it makes a lot of money and i account for other securities as available for sale and it loses a ton, then go to wall st. and tell everyone how amazing my co's earnings are... ???

saying accounting methods have no role, is like saying words have no meaning -- only action matters. if so then how does obama get elected? lol.. !
作者: spreads    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33

No. I said depreciation method choice is fine, but accounting methods do matter of course.

欢迎光临 CFA论坛 (http://forum.theanalystspace.com/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2