Board logo

标题: Effective studying [打印本页]

作者: lxwarr30    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33     标题: Effective studying

I have been out of school a few years and my study habits are not as refined as they were.

What's most effective?
1)Read through the material once....obviously not absorbing much, then work with the material to go over each LOS until it is understood/mastered

2) Read through the material once.....then work on a review course going through everything again with their guidance.

3)Go over the material multiple times and then use a review (Is there really enough time for this?)
作者: disiz64    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33

I have only been out of school since May 2008. So far, I have only gotten through Quant and about half of FSA. What I have been doing is this:

1) Read through and gain a general understanding
2) Go back and underline/highlight all items that help you understand key concepts
3) Make flash cards of formulas, ratios, hard to remember definitions, lists, etc. (I sometimes combine 2 and 3)
4) Work through examples
5) Complete summary questions
6) Review weak spots

With Quant., I tried to memorize equations as much as possible. This was done by going though the flashcards that I made over and over again. This doesn;t work for everyone, but I primarily used it as a tool to reinforce the concepts and I figured that they would help with review later on. For me, the key is to understand how all of the components work together (sigma as it relates to various equations, how items from the income statement and balance sheet work together and how they can be integrated to create the cash flow statement, and so forth). It seems that with the number of different areas being covered, that review of the older material as you get further along will be key.
作者: Micholien    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33

Devildog,

This is daveydog. Being that we are of the same creatures, I think my study habits will apply with yours.

After taking the June 09 examination, I realize the best way to go is to study straight off the SchweserNotes and use the CFA curriculum as a resource. Read each chapter off the Schweser Notes and go back to the CFA curriculum to answer the end of chapter questions (will help familiarizing yourself with CFA questioning format). Also utilize Qbank regularly to quiz yourself on past topics so you'll remember past readings. Given that the schweser notes are condensed, you should be able to go over all the notes twice! The second read on the Schweser notes will go by faster as the concepts are already instilled.

But the big plus with Schweser is the Book 6 and 7 which consists of Mock Exams. Save November and use that month to take these mocks. It helped Big Time. I mean BIG TIME. I haven't got my results back yet (I hope I passed). But the Schweser Mock Exams compared to CFA exam was like cake.
作者: Kiakaha    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33

The best way to go I think is your first option of go through readings quickly and then go back through making sure you understand each LOS, i did it with the cfai texts but if i did it again i would probably use shweser notes. The CFAI texts aren't bad but it can save you a lot of time and energy to use the more succinct and completely adequate schweser notes (or kaplan).

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF PREPARING is doing literally thousands of questions (I did about 3800). I would definitely buy qbank and books 6 and 7 of schweser. Give yourself about a month and a half to focus solely on working through the questions and reviewing your weak areas.

This was how I prepared for L1 this June and I felt very comfortable during the exam and am confident that I passed.
作者: manasib    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33

i'm awaiting L3 results and thot i'd chime in - ( if that's ok )

agree with marty3

questions are key - as many as you can get your hands on - me personally - i do the CFAI textbooks once and then hit schweser texts hard. ( twice if you can )- while reading the textbooks, at least for me -,i'm not necessarily " studying" - in that sense of the word - it's more making sure that i'm comfortable with what im reading - that i understand it before moving on.

then when you read the schweser - the goal is to really fine tune the general knowledge you've gleaned from the textbooks. for me - the schweser review is where the rubber hits the road.

and pay attn to the LOS command words - alot of people see an equation and memorize it. if the LOS doesn't specifically state " calculate" or " evaluate" or " formulate " then i don't waste time memorizing the equation. Naturally i review it - understand what it's trying to measure - and be comfortable with it - but spending time actually memorizing it - when it's not required - is a waste of time in my opinion - (i know guys that literally memorize every equation - completely unnecessary - pay attn to what they're asking you - this is where piling on the questions comes in - just by doing a bazillion questions - you'll see and be comfortable with every formula )

save the last month for questions and mock exams.

good luck !
作者: JGovender    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33

I felt that the Schweser Mock Exams were harder than the CFA exam. I went into the exam scared and nervous. After the exam, I was shocked at how much easier it was compared to Schweser Mocks.
作者: ogoluwa    时间: 2011-7-13 13:33

^I agree. I thought the Schweser mocks were harder, although the CFA exam exam had some tricky questions too.

欢迎光临 CFA论坛 (http://forum.theanalystspace.com/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2