Board logo

标题: Expected Return and Pensions [打印本页]

作者: parott    时间: 2011-7-13 16:02     标题: Expected Return and Pensions

I see the question does increase/decrease in expected return to do Pension accoutning as far as PBO? Funded Status? and Pension Expense?

As far as I know it only changes pension expense becuase the actuarial gain/loss cancels out the change in PBO... Is this correct?
作者: ayaz_mahmud369    时间: 2011-7-13 16:02

changes in Expected return would affect your "Fair plan assets" so anything that has a component of Fair plan assets would get affected.

So your
Funded status,
Economic Expense
Periodic Cost

would all be affected.
作者: Otabek    时间: 2011-7-13 16:02

It only affects your pension expense. Nothing else.
作者: smuggycfa    时间: 2011-7-13 16:02

pepp,
You trying to bring all of us down with you?...
作者: BelalM    时间: 2011-7-13 16:02

"I see the question does increase/decrease in expected return to do Pension accoutning as far as PBO? Funded Status? and Pension Expense?"

only pension expense = svc cost + interest cost - E(ROA) + amortized stuff

PBO is the liability so the expected return of the asset won't affect it.

funded status is FV plan assets - PBO and the fair value of plan assets are affected by ACTUAL returns, not expected returns.
作者: SFoyil    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

Ok. i am on record for saying, I hate FRA.

I still think it affects your funded status under (US GAAP).
US GAAP FUNDED STATUS = DBO - Fair value of plan assets.

I still think it affects your Period Cost
Period Cost = Srv cost + past service cost + int cost +- actuairal gain/loss - expected returns

I still think it affects your economic expense (indirectly though)
Economic expense = Company Contributions - Net Funded position at End + Net funded Position at the Begin
Economic expense = Change in DBO - Change in plan assets - Company contributions

tozert, i am already down in the gutter but I am looking at the stars.
作者: economicz    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

paulblart is on the money. Expected Return is a smoothing mechanism....we use expected return in the reported pension expense in order to smooth our expense & earnings to reduce the volatility.
作者: flyinggirl    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

^ This. Andrew's got it. Another relevant point is that GAAP doesn't allow income smoothing.

So another question, would this mean the pension expense reported under GAAP will have an adjustment to reflect the actual returns on plan assets? If so the following should be true...

- if returns on plan assets are GREATER than expected, GAAP pens exp < IFRS pens exp
- if returns on plan assets are LESS than expected, GAAP pens exp > IFRS pens exp

any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 03:03PM by magicskyfairy.
作者: lucasg85    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

US GAAP reports net funded status, net pension assets/liabilities; IFRS reports gross amount. The impact will be more on mixed ratios (ROE, ROA), rather than economic or reported expenses. Expenses are computed in the same manner under GAAP and IFRS. Right?
作者: redskins44    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

I think I catch your drift.....but I'm not sure and don't think the material goes that deep
作者: firat    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

magic i don't think yours makes sense....the actual return does not impact the reported pension expense
作者: ninja1024    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

I dunno, the mock seemed to go about that deep. for example, they had that question about how to show an adjustment on the CF statement for pension expense, and I had no idea. I know now:

adjustment to NI under CFO = (pension expense - employer contributions)

but I had no idea until I saw the solutions.
作者: wizofoz    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

Magic, I remember reading somewhere saying if economic expense > contribution, it is like borrowing money so you need to move (economic expense-contribution)*(1-t) from CFO to CFF. Company treats reported pension expense as CFO. Not sure if this makes sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 03:44PM by madamesoleil.
作者: RepoToronto    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

Its not somewhere, its in Pension accounting adjustments to Cash flow section. lol.
作者: Swanand    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

^ wow, wtf is that... screw this section, right in its face
作者: YAhmed    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

you need to add (1-t) to this correct?

adjustment to NI under CFO = (pension expense - employer contributions)*(1-t)

because you are reducing a interest-based liability
作者: random_walker47    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

not sure, they didn't seem to do that in the mock, so I'm gonna go with no; not because I disagree with you on some fundamentals, just cuz monkey see monkey do

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 09:15PM by magicskyfairy.
作者: Rasec    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

if the company had employer contributions above economic pension expense if would have been like it paid off a loan, so you would add it back to CFO and subtract it from CFF (as it you were paying off principal on a loan.)

adj CFO = CFO + (economic pension expense - employer contributions)(1-t)

adj CFF = CFF - (economic pension expense - employer contributions)(1-t)

if the company's contributions were less than the expense, they didn't pay contribute enough and CFO should be brought down. Since they didn't pay enough, they essentially used pension accounting to borrow money, so CFF should be adjusted downward for the difference.
作者: kkn006    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

i dunno brah, look at 2011 mock afternoon session, Q36; they didn't screw around with the taxes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 09:33PM by magicskyfairy.
作者: DSquaredSlim    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

apologies, the question specifies to ignore income taxes... so there it is
作者: chaojimali    时间: 2011-7-13 16:03

Wouldn't base "depth" on one mock or another. Anything's game. Base it on LOS. You can only test so much per mock.

欢迎光临 CFA论坛 (http://forum.theanalystspace.com/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2