Board logo

标题: What is the most boring subject in CFA curriculum? [打印本页]

作者: ajpheif16    时间: 2013-8-18 18:59     标题: What is the most boring subject in CFA curriculum?

Do you guys get bored reading the CFA curriculum? If so, what is the most boring subject for you? For me, it’s econ. What do you do to counter boredom and go back to reading after a while?
作者: jbaldyga    时间: 2013-8-18 19:02

Economics for me too.
作者: bodhisattva    时间: 2013-8-18 19:08

Surprised that more people didn’t find the standards and practices section boring.  
Larger fonts?  Bold faces?  Don’t claim candidacy until you’ve paid up your dues.  Fascinating stuff!
作者: troymo    时间: 2013-8-18 19:11

GIPS in level III.
作者: CFA4Techie    时间: 2013-8-18 19:15

I think that people are paying so little attention to Ethics that they forget it’s an option for the most boring. Personally I like Econ, after all it’s the foundation of all we do.
作者: mdfb79    时间: 2013-8-18 19:18

Econ is absolutely boring. I honestely think Econ should be eliminated or downsized to 5% of weight of test. Econ is an art and not a science and does not really work in real world application.
作者: Windjam    时间: 2013-8-18 19:21

Unlike investing…
作者: thommo77    时间: 2013-8-18 19:28

Any EOC questions not in test format. Which is pretty much most of them. Just could not do them.
作者: giants2010    时间: 2013-8-18 19:29

I just took Level 1 this past June, and I think Econ was the most boring for me as well.  I’m not saying that it’s not useful or irrelevant, but the subject matter just didn’t excite me.  I found accounting and corporate finance to be very interesting though!
作者: RoastBeef    时间: 2013-8-18 19:30

Anyone who enjoys reading those ethics examples should be locked up in an institution immediately.
作者: transferpricing    时间: 2013-8-18 19:32

Those Z,T-tables in stats…. castration is a joke compared to those.
作者: AndyNZ    时间: 2013-8-18 19:33

I dunno, those z tables get kinda exciting right around 1.96. A real page turner…
作者: NakedPuts00    时间: 2013-8-18 19:35

GIPS without a doubt!!
作者: AndyNZ    时间: 2013-8-18 19:36

For me GIPS was not boring than Economics. The key was that I didnt have to understand anything in GIPS, just practise a few questions thats it..
But with Economics I got to bl..dy understand the stuff and as such I was (still am) bad at it And the conflicting views of different economists didnt help either
As with Ethics, CFAI has got it completely wrong with the way they have tried to test ethics. I find no value add in testing people giving convoluted scenarios and check whether it was required or recommended by code of ethics
Note: Pls dont get me wrong; I am not blaming CFAI here, I chose to write their exam and its their exam. They are free to test me and you the way they want
作者: segalm    时间: 2013-8-18 19:37

Top 3 from L2
1. Ethics (unbeatable, the all-time king of boredom)
2. Corporate governance in corp.fin.
3. Reading on hedge funds - poorly structured and presented accordingly. Honestly, attempted it 4 times, could not break through any of them. The last 10 pages of the chapter are emblematic of how not to present material.
作者: WarrenB1    时间: 2013-8-18 19:39

Loathed:
- Ethics
- Defined benefit pension plans
- Inventory accounting
Liked:
- Options/Derivatives
- Corporate Finance
- Valuation
作者: rohitdoshi    时间: 2013-8-18 19:40

For me, GIPS was by far the most boring.  Econ was boring only because i’d seen it all before.  Most interesting for me were the fixed income (structuring of MBS/CDOs) and derivatives (option strategies) readings.
I think another interesting question could be “what sections of the material are written the best/worst”.
In my opinion, I thought most of the material was well written except the financial statement analysis material by Frank Fabozzi.  His style just doesn’t flow easily.  It would always take me twice as long to stumple through Frank’s readings…
作者: soverby    时间: 2013-8-18 19:41

Financial statement analysis was boring as hell, especially in level II (differences between certain accounting methods, yawn).
GIPS was boring also for me.
作者: dmrktrading    时间: 2013-8-18 19:43

Level I - fixed income.
Level II - FSA. Especially different treatments for held-for-trading vs available for sale vs held till maturity. Also, IFRS vs GAAP. Who cares?
Level III - Oh, so many good candidates. But, GIPS, by far. My eyes would glaze and I would drool from the corner of my mouth. Ethics, because it was repeated for the third time. Yeah yeah, we get it.
Not so much boring as low quality material abounded -
Agree with Fabozzi being unreadable. Also, whoever wrote the “low basis stock” was more interested in name-dropping (without naming names) and telling us his vast experience than the actual material.
Dreaming with BRICs. Really? Dream on.
Behavioral finance. There are no wrong theories, everybody gets a participation trophy. Divide investors into two types (active and passive)? Five? Four with alliterating adjectives? Four plain? Sure, all right answers.
作者: sabre    时间: 2013-8-18 19:44

I enjoy all of them!
作者: LorrinCFA    时间: 2013-8-18 19:46

I hated Mundel Fleming (Econ) and Pension Accounting although I felt more comfortable this time around.
I enjoy Equity/Fixed Income Valuation, Triangular Arbitrage, Carry Trades, basically anything FX related as well as Alternatives.
作者: NakedPuts00    时间: 2013-8-18 19:47

Econ and Ethics.  They just don’t seem useful to me at all… especially the latter ;)
作者: zephyranalyst    时间: 2013-8-18 19:48

Imagine if this was a job interview question, would you still say the subjects you dislike?
作者: Colum    时间: 2013-8-18 19:50

Ethics Ethics Ethics
作者: random_walker47    时间: 2013-8-18 19:54

definitely Ethics, then may be some sections from FSA, for instance difference between IFRS and GAAP

欢迎光临 CFA论坛 (http://forum.theanalystspace.com/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2