上一主题:synthetic stock index fund
下一主题:If you failed.. How do you feel and what are you going to do
返回列表 发帖

What is the most boring subject in CFA curriculum?

Do you guys get bored reading the CFA curriculum? If so, what is the most boring subject for you? For me, it’s econ. What do you do to counter boredom and go back to reading after a while?

definitely Ethics, then may be some sections from FSA, for instance difference between IFRS and GAAP

Ethics Ethics Ethics

Imagine if this was a job interview question, would you still say the subjects you dislike?

Econ and Ethics.  They just don’t seem useful to me at all… especially the latter ;)

I hated Mundel Fleming (Econ) and Pension Accounting although I felt more comfortable this time around.
I enjoy Equity/Fixed Income Valuation, Triangular Arbitrage, Carry Trades, basically anything FX related as well as Alternatives.

I enjoy all of them!

Level I - fixed income.
Level II - FSA. Especially different treatments for held-for-trading vs available for sale vs held till maturity. Also, IFRS vs GAAP. Who cares?
Level III - Oh, so many good candidates. But, GIPS, by far. My eyes would glaze and I would drool from the corner of my mouth. Ethics, because it was repeated for the third time. Yeah yeah, we get it.
Not so much boring as low quality material abounded -
Agree with Fabozzi being unreadable. Also, whoever wrote the “low basis stock” was more interested in name-dropping (without naming names) and telling us his vast experience than the actual material.
Dreaming with BRICs. Really? Dream on.
Behavioral finance. There are no wrong theories, everybody gets a participation trophy. Divide investors into two types (active and passive)? Five? Four with alliterating adjectives? Four plain? Sure, all right answers.

Financial statement analysis was boring as hell, especially in level II (differences between certain accounting methods, yawn).
GIPS was boring also for me.

For me, GIPS was by far the most boring.  Econ was boring only because i’d seen it all before.  Most interesting for me were the fixed income (structuring of MBS/CDOs) and derivatives (option strategies) readings.
I think another interesting question could be “what sections of the material are written the best/worst”.
In my opinion, I thought most of the material was well written except the financial statement analysis material by Frank Fabozzi.  His style just doesn’t flow easily.  It would always take me twice as long to stumple through Frank’s readings…

返回列表
上一主题:synthetic stock index fund
下一主题:If you failed.. How do you feel and what are you going to do