返回列表 发帖

Route to becoming an Analyst

I work in a mid-size city that has a few large firms, but no where near the opportunities (or competition, to be fair) as a city like NYC or Chicago. I'm still having trouble finding entry level equity or FI analyst jobs. There is a large firm with an opening on its FI desk. The FI desk job seems very entry level, but if it would get my foot in the door to be a FI analyst in a year or so it would be worth it. Does anyone know if working a desk would be a worthwhile experience that could lead to an analyst position?

What is the position?

Basically just processing trades on the Fixed Income desk.

Processing trades from FO, MO or BO?

I know I'm exposing my ignorance, but what's FO, MO and BO?

The job description says:
*Input, evaluate and confirm purchases and sales of securities with brokers. Maintain a process sufficient to meet corporate needs.

*Direct brokers on the settlement of fixed income securities. Direct custodians daily on settlement of fixed income securities (various margins) and wire of monies.

*Enter security and/or trade data into necessary systems including, but not limited to, Portia, PAMS and Bloomberg. Provide all internal and external parties with information adequate for their needs.

*Ability to analyze and understand various types of exotic fixed income securities.

*Settle problem or delayed trades efficiently and effectively which will involve direct correspondence with brokers and other external parties.

*Develop and maintain relationships with brokers and custodian banks to resolve issues and to obtain daily balances and transactions.

*Analyze and process various investment information and transactions including variable rates, factors, paydowns, coupon payments and corporate actions and broker record documentation.

*Administer and reconcile security transfers related to new clients or funds, renegotiations and rollovers.

*Maintain necessary client and broker records such as delivery and wire instructions.

*Works closely with other departments such as Reconciliation, Data Management, Portfolio Management, Stable Value, etc.

*Perform and/or oversee data entry functions.

*Assist with the development of systems enhancements or modifications to improve settlement/trading process.

*Support special projects for clients and/or management.

*Oversee and evaluate intern and other temporary staff to successfully accomplish full needs of the group.

That gig is as good as any to learn. Learn to understand fixed income securities (there are endless kinds), master bloomberg, get good at excel and see if you can build some models, get a basic understanding of operations, maybe do some performance reporting. A lot of people just collect the check but you can learn a lot from a basic job like this if u are that kind of person.

looks like a BO position

BO = back office
MO = middle office
FO = front office

返回列表