上一主题:Secret Sauce or 11th Hr or Schweser Final Review
下一主题:利用CFA证书转行可行不
返回列表 发帖

Trading floating-rate bonds, is it any good?

This is a basic question. I'm not sure I understand if it makes any sense to trade floating rate bonds. I know with fixed coupon, you can bet on interest rate direction and gain as the price moves up or down, but with a stable price on floating-rate bonds, it just doesn't make sense to do so. Comments?

It makes sense as an inflation hedge in a buy-and-hold strategy. Prices should be stable, but there might be deviations from their fair value, which offers trading opportunities.

cityboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It makes sense as an inflation hedge in a
> buy-and-hold strategy. Prices should be stable,
> but there might be deviations from their fair
> value, which offers trading opportunities.

Are you suggesting arbitrage trading only?

Well, you still earn interest on the bonds.

ohai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, you still earn interest on the bonds.

Yes of course, but with a fixed coupon, you can also have capital gain/loss, which doesn't seem possible with a floating-rate bond.

Dreary Wrote:

> Are you suggesting arbitrage trading only?

Yes, I think arbitrage trading makes most sense to me. Don't really know much about this market though.

If you expect interest rates to go down, you had better sell your floating rate bonds fast. Very fast.

If rates go down, you want to increase the duration of your portfolio and floating rate bonds usually have short durations. When rates go down, the interest income will reduce while the price of the bond will remain stable since it will adjust to par value as long as there is no cap or floor on the coupon.

Compare with fixed rate bonds. When interest rates drop, the interest income remain fixed while the price rises. This will improve the total return compared with a floating rate bond.

rates rising is implicit in the price of the floating rate bonds. you need rates to go up faster/farther than expectations. this assumes youre not looking at the credit spread implications

Look at the prices of those bonds in 2008. Since they are usually junk issuers, credit spreads can and will have bonds trading significantly away from par.

Conclusion: don't trade these kinds of bonds for capital gains. Do so only for income and only if you expect rates to rise.

返回列表
上一主题:Secret Sauce or 11th Hr or Schweser Final Review
下一主题:利用CFA证书转行可行不