上一主题:Is this a violation?
下一主题:Ask Yield
返回列表 发帖

Listing referrals before you get the job

So I've been through several rounds of interviews with a company which have gone well and they have asked me to fill out the typical generic information form for background check, ect. I need to also provide work references. I have only worked for 1 company since undergrad for the last 3 years.

My concern is that I don't know if I have the job or not, yet need to list my current managers as references. Is this typical to do before knowing if you have the job or not? I'm a little concerned if I end up not getting the job, then everyone I work with will know that I was interviewing. I'm fine with giving out references with people I work with, and know that they'll be supportive and have nice things to say, but I just think it could be awkward having to tell them I'm using them as references before I even know if I have a new job or not.

Is this typical when moving to a new job? how do you guys go about handling this situation?

I will, if they tell me that I've been selected and it's part of final background screening. But if they want it preliminary, I say no. And I do typically push back at first. If they ask for current managers I tell them I'd rather not, or I don't think that would be appropriate. If they push back, then I may

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Without American production the United Nations could never have won the war."
-Joseph Stalin, Tehran Conference: 1943

Of course NO! unless you want to risk losing your current job without knowing if you will get an offer or not.

Of course NO! unless you want to risk losing your current job without knowing if you will get an offer or not.

Yea any company that will call your current boss and have not given you a firm offer is ridiculous

Even if you have a firm offer in hand, your current managers would only denigrate you. So it's not clear what the new firm is looking for.

Perhaps they just want confirmation of employment -- that's fair. In that case you disclose your HR department, not your line manager.

BTW, you should learn the difference between referral and reference.

Since you've only have one job, the typical reference population is former colleagues (who left your current firm).

Just tell them that it's not OK for them to contact your current employer because they don't know you're searching for other jobs, but that you'd be happy to provide them with contact information from previous managers.

If they insisted on speaking with my current boss, I'd tell them to go f*ck off.

Just write will provide details if application successful - it's only a form right. It's for HR. If they bother to ask you, you can explain then. And then they might say we only contact after you have been selected (which is typical). You'll be fine. It's just form filling for the weird and wonderful world of HR.

ManMythLegend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never, never, never, never list current managers
> as references. Any company that doesn't
> understand that can go jump off a cliff.

This is an iron-clad rule of mine too. There is too much career damage you can do if the prospective job doesn't work out. It's just not worth the risk.

The only current reference I gave most recently was a co-worker that I trusted 100% because he had nothing to gain or lose; i.e. we weren't in any internal competition. He was also one notch above me but not high enough that he would have had a conflict of interest concerning giving me a reference.

DarienHacker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even if you have a firm offer in hand, your
> current managers would only denigrate you. So
> it's not clear what the new firm is looking for.
>

Not necessarily true. HR departments often tell managers not to provide information that could lead to career damage since they are afraid of getting sued.

返回列表
上一主题:Is this a violation?
下一主题:Ask Yield