无上一主题
下一主题:Reading 4: CFA Institute Research Objectivity Standards -
返回列表 发帖
Jack Stevens is employed by a company to provide investment advice to participants in the firm's 401(k) plan. One of the investment options is a stable value fund run by the company. Stevens' research indicates that the fund is far riskier and less liquid than the typical stable value fund and has a fundamental asset value lower than book value of the assets. He tells Jessica Cox, the head of employee benefits, about his research, and indicates that he will advise new employees to not invest in the fund and will advise employees who already own the fund to reduce their holdings in the fund. Cox points out that the fund is not in any current danger because there are very few redemptions requested of the fund. Cox also states that a sell recommendation may become a self fulfilling prophecy, causing investors to redeem their shares and forcing the fund to liquidate, which in turn will cause the remaining investors to receive less than their promised value. Stevens agrees with this assessment and feels his fiduciary duty is to all employees. Stevens should:
A)
continue to recommend that new investors do not invest in the fund and existing investors reduce their holdings.
B)
tell investors he cannot give advice on the fund because of a conflict of interest.
C)
continue to recommend that new investors do not invest in the fund, but not advise existing investors to reduce their holdings.

The employees to whom Stephens owes fiduciary duty are the ones who are seeking his advice, even if acting on that advice hurts other employees who might eventually become clients.

Randy Wesson is a research analyst for a large brokerage company following the chemical industry. Wesson receives a phone call from his nephew who works part-time in an airport hospitality center for an airline while going to business school. Many meetings take place at the center on any given day. The nephew tells Wesson that while bringing some faxes into a conference room, he overheard executives of Hunt Chemical talking about the likely divestiture of one of their subsidiaries. His nephew wants to know whether that will be good for Hunt. Wesson should:
A)
write a research report describing that he learned about the likely divestiture from his nephew who works at the hospitality center.
B)
not use the information.
C)
write a research report describing the possibility of a divestiture, but not mention how he learned about it.

The information is material and nonpublic; therefore, Wesson cannot trade or cause others to trade on the information. Any action concerning the information would violate the Standard on material nonpublic information.

Judy Albert and Bob Tye, who recently started their own investment advisory business, plan to take the Level III CFA examination next year. Albert's business card reads, "Judy Albert, CFA Candidate." Tye has not put anything about the CFA on his business card. However, the firm's promotional materials describe the CFA requirements and indicate that Tye participates in the CFA program and has completed Levels I and II. According to CFA Institute Standards of Professional Conduct:
A)
Both Albert and Tye have violated the Standards.
B)
Neither Albert nor Tye has violated the Standards.
C)
Albert has violated the Standards but Tye has not.

On letterheads and business cards and in directory listings, only the mark CFA or the words Chartered Financial Analyst should appear after the charterholder's name.

Nichole Zeller and Randy Toffler have both passed Level II of the CFA Exam Program and have registered for Level III. Zeller circulates a resume stating that she is a candidate for the CFA designation and has passed Level II of the CFA program. Toffler circulates a resume stating that he is a CFA II. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
A)
Only Zeller has violated the Code of Standards.
B)
Only Toffler has violated the Code of Standards.
C)
Both Zeller and Toffler have violated the Code of Standards.

The Code and Standards permit an individual to state that he or she is a candidate for the CFA designation as long as the person is registered for the next CFA exam. The same individual may state the fact that he or she has passed Level I or II of the CFA program. There is no partial designation, such as CFA II.

During 2004 Nancy Arnold received an undergraduate business degree with a management major and completed all requirements for the CFA designation imposed by CFA Institute. She is applying for employment at several brokerage firms. Her resume states, “I was awarded the CFA degree in 2004 by CFA Institute.” Her resume also states that she graduated “with honors” and majored in finance. Her grade point average was 3.48 but “with honors” requires a 3.50 grade point average.
Which of the following statements about Standard VII(B), Reference to CFA Institute, the CFA Designation, and the CFA Program, and Standard I(C), Misrepresentation, is CORRECT? Arnold:
A)
violated both Standard VII(B) and Standard I(C).
B)
violated Standard I(C) but she did not violate Standard VII(B).
C)
did not violate either Standard VII(B) or Standard I(C).

Arnold violated Standard VII(B). The CFA designation should not be referred to as a degree. Arnold also violated Standard I(C) because her claim that she graduated “with honors” is not true.

Ralph Lim and Susan Bland have both passed Level I of the CFA Program. Both are currently enrolled to sit for Level II. Lim's business card reads, "Ralph Lim, CFA Level I." Bland's resume states, "Level II Candidate in the CFA Program." According to CFA Institute Standards of Professional Conduct involving use of the professional designation:
A)
Both Lim and Bland violated the Standard.
B)
Lim violated the Standard, but Bland did not.
C)
Bland violated the Standard, but Lim did not.

There is no designation for someone who has passed Level I, Level II, or Level III of the CFA examination. Candidates may state, however, that they have completed Level I, II, or III, as the case may be, in the CFA Program. Thus, Lim violated the Standard, but Bland did not.

Robert Hopkins has earned the right to use the CFA designation and wants to indicate this on his business card. According to CFA Institute Standards of Professional Conduct, which of the following is the proper use of the professional designation on his business card?
A)
Robert Hopkins, cfa.
B)
Robert Hopkins, Chartered Financial Analyst.
C)
Robert Hopkins, C.F.A.

The CFA designation should always be capitalized and shown without periods. The CFA designation should not be referred to as a degree. Placing the designation "CFA" or "Chartered Financial Analyst" after one's name on a resume, business card, brochure, or other published material is appropriate.

An analyst has not paid his CFA Institute dues for several years but has filed a professional conduct statement annually. Which of the following statements is CORRECT regarding his status with CFA Institute? The analyst:
A)
cannot refer to ever having been a member.
B)
is still an active member.
C)
is no longer an active member.

Standard VII(B), Reference to CFA Institute, the CFA Designation, and the CFA Program, applies. In order to use the CFA designation, the member must pay annual dues and submit a yearly Professional Conduct Statement.

All of the following statements in promotion of your services are in violation of CFA Institute Standards of Practice handbook EXCEPT:
A)
I guarantee under my management that you will receive returns in excess of the market index average.
B)
I passed Level II of the CFA Program in 2003.
C)
based upon my research, you will achieve a 20% compound annual rate of return on small cap stocks over the next 5 years.

Candidates may refer to the CFA level(s) passed and the associated dates as long as a partial designation is not implied. They may not guarantee or promise a given level of return.

Jake Miles, CFA, includes the following phrase on his business card: “Jake Miles is your trusted local CFA.” Is this a violation of Standard VII(B)?
A)
Yes, because he cannot put the initials "CFA" on his business card.
B)
No, because his CFA Institute membership indicates that he is indeed trustworthy.
C)
Yes, because he uses CFA as a noun.

The initials CFA cannot be used as a noun. The initials can appear on a business card but cannot be used to exaggerate the meaning or implications of membership.

返回列表
无上一主题
下一主题:Reading 4: CFA Institute Research Objectivity Standards -