上一主题:synthetic stock index fund
下一主题:If you failed.. How do you feel and what are you going to do
返回列表 发帖
Those Z,T-tables in stats…. castration is a joke compared to those.

I dunno, those z tables get kinda exciting right around 1.96. A real page turner…

GIPS without a doubt!!

For me GIPS was not boring than Economics. The key was that I didnt have to understand anything in GIPS, just practise a few questions thats it..
But with Economics I got to bl..dy understand the stuff and as such I was (still am) bad at it And the conflicting views of different economists didnt help either
As with Ethics, CFAI has got it completely wrong with the way they have tried to test ethics. I find no value add in testing people giving convoluted scenarios and check whether it was required or recommended by code of ethics
Note: Pls dont get me wrong; I am not blaming CFAI here, I chose to write their exam and its their exam. They are free to test me and you the way they want

Top 3 from L2
1. Ethics (unbeatable, the all-time king of boredom)
2. Corporate governance in corp.fin.
3. Reading on hedge funds - poorly structured and presented accordingly. Honestly, attempted it 4 times, could not break through any of them. The last 10 pages of the chapter are emblematic of how not to present material.

Loathed:
- Ethics
- Defined benefit pension plans
- Inventory accounting
Liked:
- Options/Derivatives
- Corporate Finance
- Valuation

For me, GIPS was by far the most boring.  Econ was boring only because i’d seen it all before.  Most interesting for me were the fixed income (structuring of MBS/CDOs) and derivatives (option strategies) readings.
I think another interesting question could be “what sections of the material are written the best/worst”.
In my opinion, I thought most of the material was well written except the financial statement analysis material by Frank Fabozzi.  His style just doesn’t flow easily.  It would always take me twice as long to stumple through Frank’s readings…

Financial statement analysis was boring as hell, especially in level II (differences between certain accounting methods, yawn).
GIPS was boring also for me.

Level I - fixed income.
Level II - FSA. Especially different treatments for held-for-trading vs available for sale vs held till maturity. Also, IFRS vs GAAP. Who cares?
Level III - Oh, so many good candidates. But, GIPS, by far. My eyes would glaze and I would drool from the corner of my mouth. Ethics, because it was repeated for the third time. Yeah yeah, we get it.
Not so much boring as low quality material abounded -
Agree with Fabozzi being unreadable. Also, whoever wrote the “low basis stock” was more interested in name-dropping (without naming names) and telling us his vast experience than the actual material.
Dreaming with BRICs. Really? Dream on.
Behavioral finance. There are no wrong theories, everybody gets a participation trophy. Divide investors into two types (active and passive)? Five? Four with alliterating adjectives? Four plain? Sure, all right answers.

I enjoy all of them!

返回列表
上一主题:synthetic stock index fund
下一主题:If you failed.. How do you feel and what are you going to do