上一主题:Equity: PVGO
下一主题:CFAI Mock AM - Operating Income
返回列表 发帖

Bogged down in Quantitative Methods

I've seen some references here to "don't get bogged down in quants". Well, I'm bogged down in quants. I started studying on 8/17 and after studying ethics for about a week and a half have just spent about 2.5 weeks solid on studying quants which equates to about 60 hours. At my current pace and the fact that I'm on page 273 of the Schweser quant book out of about 350, I think I will need another week which will put me a week behind my study plan.

The procedure I'm using for quants is not moving forward until I know every formula and every concept cold. Is that wrong? If it is wrong, I wish that I would've spent less time on TVM and the easier things - near the back of this book things are getting more complicated and I feel if I spend less time on it now I'll regret it. Any thoughts appreciated because I guess I'm starting to freak out.

in my opinion, you should move on. If you have a thorough "idea" about the course material and can tackle (most) practice questions, then its time for the rest of the syllabus.

You'll have to review the material at least once before the exams anyways, and it'll be a lot easier on your mind once you know you've covered most of the concepts in all syllabus areas.

Agree with lifes2short. Quant is too many concepts and formulas. I was bogged down by it myself when I was doing my L1 preparation. I would say dont stress too much on formulas at this time, as you are going to forget them anyways later. Also, more than trying to remember these formulas, focus on the logic behind them. This is true for formulas in the entire material. For now, just go thru quant material with whatever concepts you can understand and move on.

Once you have read thru the entire material, then come back to Quant for revision. That way you would have greater confidence that you have already read thru the material once and will not freek out with the pressure of so much more remaining.

Also, taking more questions help a lot in understanding concepts better. I found it specially true for Quant. Material alone appears quite abstract and hence difficult to comprehend, but taking questions clarify these concepts and make them less abstract.

Good Luck.

返回列表
上一主题:Equity: PVGO
下一主题:CFAI Mock AM - Operating Income