上一主题:equity research associate jobs
下一主题:Have you been to an interview that the interviewers just want you to fail?
返回列表 发帖

assistant or associate or junior PM

if i could have some urgent input on this i would much appreciate it

i have been given an offer to be the assistant for the SNR PM in a boutique asset man company. the offer is very attractive...

do you think i should ask for the role to be titled associate or junior PM rather than assistant to the... the latter reminds me of secretarial job, but i am going in this with three post-grad degrees and want to be identified as on the career ladder for PM...

any thoughts?

sure, Junior PM has a nice ring to it.

Just take the job assuming it is better than what you currently have -- who cares about a title.

Where I used to work, one guy was a Junior PM. It probably sounded OK when he started but the word "junior" was embarassing to him years later when he handed out business hards.

What about "Portfolio Management Associate" if you actually do have input?

"Associate Portfolio Manager"

Titles matter when you are interviewing or changing positions.

It's often pretty easy to negotiate a title during the offer process. They're often thinking "Whew, that's an easy thing we can do, and it doesn't cost a lot."

There are two times when that might not be the case though... more established firms have pay ranges that go with specific titles, so if your new title has a different (and higher) pay range, they may have an issue with that. Yours is a small firm, you said, so that probably isn't an issue.

The other time it's an issue is when it is a title implies substantially more job responsibilities than you actually have. This can cause political problems, and also can cause marketing problems, if potential clients see you as having a more senior title than they think you deserve, it calls into question whether their money is indeed managed by experienced and qualified people. In your case, it sounds like that's not going to be a major problem, and it's just a matter of finding a wording that everyone can live with.

Don't think that titles don't matter. Some people I've worked for think that "titles don't matter, because you end up doing a bit of lots of stuff." Well, it didn't matter to him, because he was the Principal and CEO. Everyone underneath him was completely ticked off, because their career progression didn't have any title-based evidence on their resumes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 01:49PM by bchadwick.

thanks all! it's settled Junior Portfolio Manager it is! ;)

congrats mate!

ok typically anything with "assistant" tagged on, means you are doing secretarial work. No joke.
Assistant: Setting up calendar appointments, confirming them with clients/analysts, answering calls, booking expenses.

A PM associate, or Junior PM, can range from doing performance attribution, writing what happened, where lost money, where made money.. up to actively helping to manage a portfolio itself.

If you are being hired as an assistant, don't have the expectation you're going to be deeply involved in asset mgmt

返回列表
上一主题:equity research associate jobs
下一主题:Have you been to an interview that the interviewers just want you to fail?