上一主题:Professional Statement-Ethics question from Mock
下一主题:Investopedia Ethics Section
返回列表 发帖

First Hand Ethics Violation

Nerdy, but I was a on conference call this week with several PMs of a high yield fund that we have client money invested into. The guys on the call did their usual bio spiel and when it came time for the new junior PM to introduce himself he led off with his history at the firm, experience, etc.. and then he ended with “I have an MBA and a CFA”. In slow motion I dropped the pen I was thumbing in my right hand and the cup of coffee in my other, which slowly fell to the floor before shattering my “The Office” mug into 14 pieces. No, but I stopped for a second I was like, hmm sounds like a good ole Standards VII(B). The senior PMs probably said something to him after the call.

How is that a violation? Introducing yourself and saying “I have an MBA and I’m a CFA Charterholder” is not a violation if it’s factual statement. It’s a different case if he had said “all your clients’ money are safe with me because I’m a CFA Charterholder.”

isn’t introducing oneself in that manner the same as having “Jane Doe, MBA, CFA” on your business card - that is acceptable………..i think
now if he said ” i AM a cfa’ different story.
good post - real lifes always more interesting anyways.

I agree with Damil4real .. I couldn’t see any violation

The proper way of course would have just to have said “I have an MBA and am also a CFA Charterholder”.
I thought “I have a CFA” is a nono. Using CFA as a noun?

Chuckrox8 Wrote:
——————————————————-
> The proper way of course would have just to have
> said “I have an MBA and am also a CFA
> Charterholder”.
>
> I thought “I have a CFA” is a nono. Using CFA as
> a noun?
This thing came in so many mocks.

Chuckrox8 Wrote:
——————————————————-
> The proper way of course would have just to have
> said “I have an MBA and am also a CFA
> Charterholder”.
>
> I thought “I have a CFA” is a nono. Using CFA as
> a noun?
You are quite correct sir.

The term ‘CFA’ is an adjective, not a noun. So while I am a CFA Charterholder is alright, I am a CFA is not.
John Doe, CFA is fine.

Another classic example of the CFAI ethics, which of course is a violation according to the Standards, but in reality does not make a difference. While I really enjoy rest of the CFA curriculum, Ethics though important to pass the exam is mostly BS to me and has no real practical use.

返回列表
上一主题:Professional Statement-Ethics question from Mock
下一主题:Investopedia Ethics Section