上一主题:CFAI mock 2011 afternoon question
下一主题:Question to holders of both CFA and FRM
返回列表 发帖

Beta question

I’m doing some performance analysis on our portfolio vs the S&P. I’ve calculated our portfolio’s beta to be slightly less than 1. However, our portfolio has slightly outperformed the S&P. How is this possible?

What time period are you looking at? If you started in Oct 2007, S&P is still down like 15%. A beta slightly less than 1 would indicate that you are down slightly less than that. Also, what time increments are you using to calculate your beta?

Looking at 2011 YTD returns, so both my port and the S&P are positive. I’m calculating beta on daily returns. Basically COVAR(myport,S&P)/VAR(S&P) = beta. I’m getting like 0.94 for the beta, but my portfolio has like 0.42% of alpha.
Not sure how I can be outperforming the S&P with a lower beta in an uptrending market… its pretty close to 1 and the alpha is small so perhaps there is some noise that allows for a bit of leeway on that? Idk how to explain it though and I’m pretty sure I’m not f-ing up my calcs.

Unless you are running an index portfolio, there will be tracking risk. So expected the return on your portfolio to be different than the benchmark.

I’m not a statistical or beta expert, but I suspect using daily is reducing the beta. Not sure what you can do about it though, since you would have so few data points if you go with weekly instead.

Is there a software to find portfolio beta automatically? I don’t really feel like putting my CFA-learned wisdom to use, when I can press a button.

You should be using the function varp, not var, for the denominator.

返回列表
上一主题:CFAI mock 2011 afternoon question
下一主题:Question to holders of both CFA and FRM