上一主题:The juggernaut review keeps rolling along
下一主题:WHAT do u think??
返回列表 发帖

Return Calcs for Portfolio Management

It has become apparent to me that the order in which the return components are taken into consideration effects the solution calculated under both the (1+r)(1+i)-1 framework, and the r+i framework. For example, first, adding inflation/fees (either additively or multiplicatively), then grossing the return up for taxes, or conversely, gross up the return for taxes, then adding inflation/fees (either additively or multiplicatively), yield very different solutions that are outside of what would be called a rounding error.

Is one methodology more correct than the other?

The Q1 on the 2009 exam grosses the return up for taxes, and then adds inflation, however, most of the solutions to Schweser study problems adjust for inflation/fees first.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks and good luck.

My guess on college expenses PLEASE correct me if you disagree.

1) If the required return is for next years college expense then I wud treat as an expense and NOT subtract from asset base.

2) If the required return is for my sons college expenses in 18 years time then I wud get the discounted amount and SUBTRACT from the asset base.

What u think?

Xtra, with the second one, you should incorporate the late college expense into the time horizon. A large colleg expense expectted to occur 18 years later justifies a multistage IPS.

返回列表
上一主题:The juggernaut review keeps rolling along
下一主题:WHAT do u think??