上一主题:Effect of impairement on Taxes
下一主题:Sch_Vol_1_Mock_2_AM_Q_112
返回列表 发帖

Difference between share split and bonus issue

I know in both the cases the comapny`s mkt cap remains the same....
Priced is adjusted according to the ratio....
Number of shares outstanding gets increased/decresed according to the ratio....
Bonus issue is an indication of the bullishness....
The only differences is the paid up capital....

Question 1 : In Bonus issue the paid up capital increases....HOW ?????
Question 2 : In stock split the Paid up Capital remains the same...How??
Question 3 : is the Face value adjusted?...Yes/No

Can some one pls explain and correct me if Im wrong n my assumptions

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

bonus issue - issue of free shares to existing shareholders. so total # of shares increases - and this increased number * par (face value) => causes paid up capital to increase.
There is no change in par value of the stock in this case.

stock split - company existing shares are divided into multiple shares. so if number of shares increases - the face value is reduced proportionately -> as a result paid up capital remains the same here.

CP

Can you explain paid up capital?

Also for the extra share that they give during bonus...the extra money for those shares is given by whom?...is it from comapny reserves, if yes then the company spends money in giving these shares?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Thursday, October 8, 2009 at 07:43AM by varundarji.

bonus shares are issued free to existing shareholders.
as a result of that - the total # of shares issued increases - and the "market cap" - which is # of shares issued * par value increases.

this is instead of paying dividends - company is issuing bonus shares.

2 options the company has -
a. declare a dividend per share, pay that to its shareholders.

b. take the total declared dividend amount it would have paid, divide by par value of the shares - and say we will issue that much extra shares to the existing shareholders.

either way it is the same.

but in the 2nd case - the dividends were paid out (thro' the shares) but the total capital of the company increased as a by-product.

Paid up capital - is what the shareholders actually paid up to acquire the company's shares. It is equal to the Par Value (Face Value) * # of Shares issued + any additional paid up capital.

e.g. company has par value of 1$ per share, but issues share at 15$ per - e.g.
and it has 1 Mill shares.

Face Value = 1 Mill $
Additional Paid up = 14 Mill

Total Paid up Capital = 15 Mill

CP

why are you guys calling it paid up capital?

I think varundarji might be confused about the nature of the bonus issue transaction.

The accounting double entry should be of some help.

When a company announces a bonus issue, it capitalizes a part of its share premium account.

i.e. Share Premium Acc Debit
Share Capital Acc Credit

Thats how the share capital increases.

If the share premium account reaches a nil balance, the retained earnings reserve is used for this purpose.

Further, remember that bonus share is non-cash i.e. its only book accounting, no actual cash is involved.

返回列表
上一主题:Effect of impairement on Taxes
下一主题:Sch_Vol_1_Mock_2_AM_Q_112