上一主题:Real Tax Rate
下一主题:New ID Policy - Passport
返回列表 发帖

Ways to SCREW us with FCFF and FCFE

I believe the best offense, is a good defense.

When calculating FCFF or FCFE from Net Income:

Look out for Non Cash Charges besides Depreciation in the Income Statement:

Gains or Losses on Sale of PPE
Unrealized Gains or Losses on HFT Instruments
Inventory Write Downs
Asset Impairments
Deferred Tax Assets / Deferred Tax Liabilities
...can anyone else think of other NCC we might see?

Note: If it says in the vignette that the DTA or DTL are not expected to reverse in the future, I believe we can consider the DTA a loss and the DTL a gain (hopefully that won't come up)

When calculating FCInv (depending on WHAT they give --- these are all diff scenarios):

FCInv = FCInv (no, im not crazy, this is when the only info they give is "FCInv")
FCInv = CapEx
FCInv = Gross PPE (t) - Gross PPE (t-1)
FCInv = Net PPE (t) - Net PPE (t - 1) + Depreciation (t)
FCInv = CapEx - proceeds from sale of L/T assets

Remember, if they give a "gain on sale of LT assets" that is NOT what you use to calc FCINv - cause it is based on (Salvage Value - Book Value) We want the actual CASH that changed ie Company X sells PPE worth $100 which had a book value of $150, resulting in a loss of $50 (ignore taxes). But in CASH terms, FCInv actually decreased by the $100 they got for the assets, thus increasing FCFF/FCFE.

They may also lump Land into PPE, or Net PPE - seen this a few times. Land is never depreciated, so remove it from whatever PPE account you are dealing with (if they sneak it in there)

Interest (1 - tc):

Remember - if they say something like "In 2009, interest income from HTM securities was $100" - how does this impact FCFF in 2009 - remember interest INCOME reduces interest EXPENSE so = Interest (1 - tc) will be reduced

Also, if non-recurring items (cash-based) are included in Net Income, do we automatically remove them? Or is that a FSA quality of earnings type of question ...?

K that's all. Feel free to add. I bet at least one of these tricks will come up !!!

I would add:

Amortization of bond discounts/premiums and Restructuring Charges to NCC

and, the tricks around converting from EBITDA, EBIT, etc.

also, here's (I think) a better way too look at Net PPE that has the different effects. Pls double-check the signs, but I think it's a keeper:

Beginning Net PPE - Depreciation + FCInv(solve) + Proceeds from PPE Sales - Book Value of Assets sold = Ending Net PPE

wondering about this:

FCInv = Gross PPE (t) - Gross PPE (t-1)
FCInv = Net PPE (t) - Net PPE (t - 1) + Depreciation (t)

how do you know if what you're being provided is the gross or the net? may sound like a dumb question, but on the mock, I first used the bottom formula (adding depreciation), and didn't get an answer that was valid. Then I used the top one, and got one, so I picked it. I don't really want to be dicking around with that on game day

Unless the question reports Net PP&E, assume it's GROSS PP&E...

WC = CA - CL

NWCInv = WC1 - WC0 = (CA1 - CL1) - (CA0 - CL0) = (CA1 - CA0) - (CL1 - CL0)

Exclude cash/equivalents from CA and short term debt/notes payables/current portion of LTD from CL.

If ur calculating FCFF = + preferred div

FCFE = - Preferred dividend

however if your starting from FCFF , FCFE = - 2(preferred div)

^^ and remember there is no tax benefit on preferred dividends...

rambda....

im a little confused by your signs....

shouldnt it be Beg NPPE -Dep + FCInv -(Proceeds of sales - BV assets sold) = Ending NPPE?

Spanishek -- I buy that. It's a bit counter-intuitive when you distribute the negative (how does adding book value sold contribute to Net PPE), but when I reason this out I think the formula stated above works

hm could be. Who knows. I pray they just give us GPPE and that it. Please. Please.

Good luck

返回列表
上一主题:Real Tax Rate
下一主题:New ID Policy - Passport