上一主题:Emerging market equity premium?
下一主题:rus1bus/beatthecfa where are you?
返回列表 发帖

Currency Future or Option for Hedging?

Hi

Notes says, 'if the manager is primarily concern with unfavorable movements, he will use future....'.

I know future is cheaper, but if the manager only care about one side movement, should he use Option, which is a protection for one side movement?

Quite confused by when to use CCY Future and when for Option....

Cheers

The future locks in a price - the options sets a floor and creates a range (in a put, strike - cost).

Like jcole21 indicates, the future locks in a price, hence you cannot lose but also NOT win. And that's different with an option where you cannot lose but can win, i.e. you keep upside potential. This feature has a price, that's why options cost money and futures are free (the cost for a future is that you don't have upside potential). Hope this helps.

Thanks, Jcole21 and RCash.

Just still confused by ' 'if the manager is primarily concern with unfavorable movements, he will use future....'. '

Your answers are good for the difference of future vs. option, but it does not help me understand the statement.

It seems both future and option will work ''if the manager is primarily concern with unfavorable movement'?

You are correct, both will do the trick.

If you are a manager and concerned only with movements, you want to lock the rate at minimum costs. Hence a future will exactly just do that.

An option is more expensive and will be used by a manager that also want to profit from favorable movements.

great!, R Cash.

So the trick is at the keyword 'concerned'!

The keyword is "primary." Options and futures will both satisfy the need to hedge risk. An option will give you added upside; however, the upside comes at a cost, the premium you pay on the option. If the primary concern is to hedge risk/movement, you would opt for the cheapest of the two alternatives that meets the minimum requirement, which is a futures contract.

Futures forgo upside potential as the price for concern while options keeps upside potential for a fee.

返回列表
上一主题:Emerging market equity premium?
下一主题:rus1bus/beatthecfa where are you?