上一主题:I'm bored & want to study L3
下一主题:2011 June CFA 1 -10A
返回列表 发帖

Can CFA L2 candidate go into Audit Industry ?

I tried applying for many finance-related jobs (analyst, equity trader, financial analyst) to no avail and I kind of lose faith because most employers require me to have relevant experience.

I am thinking of going into Audit, not sure the relevancy of CFA L1/2 progrmme fit into this industry?

Can anyone advise how I can "sell" myself with this CFA L1 cert?

Thanks

I think you and I are facing the same dilemma,
overqualified for many entry level jobs but underqualified for many jobs that require experience.

Argh...

CPA is for auditing, CMA is for cost accounting and budgeting.

oops my bad, thanks for the correction, i always get confused on the too, haha.

As a former auditor all I can say is that passing CFA all level will not get you into the audit field.
Auditing firm will ask if you have taken all the required accounting and auditing courses,
to carry out the audit.

In some ways, this industry is like Harvard. The hardest part is breaking in. I know what it feels like, trust me. This isn't exactly happy advice, but the longer you drag out the process, the harder it becomes.

The back office positions are much easier to get into. I know a few that have tried that route to get in, but you're still looking at a large uphill battle

Coming from someone who works in audit - if you want to do audit, particularly auditing financial services companies, the CFA will absolutely help set you apart. People in audit do get that the CFA is a demanding and very difficult program to get through. However, there's not really a direct application of what you learn in the CFA program to auditing - moreso gives the impression of "this person is smart and can dedicate themselves to something".

Plus, if you want to be successful in audit, you'll definitely need to take the CPA exam (required to make a manager position at most public accounting firms, also some firms require it to be a senior). So make sure you consider that when you make the decision as well. From my experience the CFA is significantly more time consuming than the CPA but that doesn't mean the CPA is easy.

The other thing about audit - the more experience you get in audit, the more "typecast" you can get as an accountant. Your options will open up significantly if you want to get into finance at a large company, especially if you go Big 4 / what I call "second tier international" (this being Grant Thornton, McGladrey, BDO). You'll have options including financial reporting, financial analysis, capital budgeting, internal audit, etc. even after just 2-3 years spent in public. But if you want to be a trader/analyst audit really isn't the route to take to get there.

So I guess it's like most finance-related fields - CFA will probably help a bit, but you need to have the industry-specific qualifications to begin with. Does this sound accurate?

I'm in the same boat having a hard time getting that first opportunity, but don't give up. Pass a level or two of the CFA and keep a good job, stay relevant in something. Then you can apply to a one year masters program and rebrand yourself as a finance guy. That is my plan right now. I hope it works.

I am experiencing same thing right now as i tried applying for many finance-related jobs even for the junior positions, i come from software background and i thought CFA would enhance my chances , but to no avail and I am having difficulty to at least get an interview..

i think i need to reevaluate my position now, and i feel like does the CFA levels have any weight????

返回列表
上一主题:I'm bored & want to study L3
下一主题:2011 June CFA 1 -10A