上一主题:Multi Manager Fund Analyst
下一主题:RFP Manager
返回列表 发帖

so i set up my first meeting..

In an application i'm completing it says 'do you know anyone that works here?', now i don't but i have an friend who lives with someone who does (sounds more tenuous than it is) he gave me her email and suggested I ask to meet her to enable me to put her name down. So I have emailed her asking if i can buy her a coffee and ask her some questions about the firm etc and she said she would be happy to meet me.

I have just graduated and never worked in the industry so this is my first attempt at networking, so i just thought i would see if anyone had any tips for me on how to get the most out of this meeting?

I figured i want to ask about her experience at the firm, any advice she might have for me about the selection process and how to succeed within the firm should i get a place.

Am i missing the point of these meetings or does this sound about right?

ie. should i be looking to establish a good connection first and foremost?

I would ask her about the position you're applying for (a little ways in), what she thinks about the role/department, and let her know you're going to apply for it. At that point shell either offer for you to list her on the app, or won't.

From there, just be eager to learn, demonstrate some understanding of her field/firm, and polite. Try and pay for the coffee.

Good luck.

Those are all fair questions, and also some good advice from jcole21. The key is to try to get an honest impression of the job, so don't be afraid to ask about what really matters to you (while also being politically correct).

would it be weird to have some questions written down and to be noting her answers?

Find out if she knows someone in the area for which you are applying. If she does and you make the right impression you have just upped your chances 50%. A good word on the inside goes a long, long way. Try and stack the odds in your favour.

mjbizzle87 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> would it be weird to have some questions written
> down and to be noting her answers?

Yes.

People are usually happy and flattered to be contacted for an information interview. In my experience, they are usually quite willing to chat and share information.

But I would be careful about asking her to make a referral or pass on your resume at a first chat. She doesn't know you well enough yet to do so. She may offer, though, to do more for you after the chat if she sees you are engaging and intelligent.

First just find out about why she chose to work there, the culture, the expectations, challenges, etc. It should really be more of a conversation than an interview.

Sounds like you're already on the right track MJB, I like your approach, pretty good start for someone right out of school. The key to networking is to not approach someone trying to get something from them like a salesman. Focus on actually having a good conversation and taking an interest in what they have to say (basically what you're doing). At the end, if it goes well, ask if she'd mind if you put her down for that field on the application. I'm sure she won't mind. Most likely, if you have a pleasant convo, she'll offer on her own to say something to the manager if she knows him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Without American production the United Nations could never have won the war."
-Joseph Stalin, Tehran Conference: 1943

libor.plus1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> God this is lame advice.
>
> Dude, just take her out and introduce her to the
> models and bottles lifestyle. Bring her back to
> your place, seduce her, bring her to orgasm, make
> her co-dependent on you, and then get her to refer
> you.

This.

Forget the actual business stuff. You think she is going to remember if you ask her about what qualities succeed in that position? Not a chance. You need to get this broad begging to be able to see you again. Tell her if she refers you and gets you a job there you will go a few rounds with her every Friday in a closet. Forget asking "smart" questions.

返回列表
上一主题:Multi Manager Fund Analyst
下一主题:RFP Manager