上一主题:Ethical and Professional Standards 【Reading 3】
下一主题:Ethical and Professional Standards 【R1】习题精选
返回列表 发帖
An analyst, who is a CFA charterholder, is working in a foreign country. Which of the following statements is CORRECT? The analyst is:
A)
covered by the strictest of the following laws and rules: his own country's, the foreign country's or CFA Institute's Code and Standards.
B)
governed by the laws and standards of the country in which he is living and working.
C)
governed by CFA Institute's Code and Standards.

The analyst is covered by the strictest of the following laws and rules: his own country’s, the foreign country’s or CFA Institute’s Code and Standards.

Which of the following statements about the responsibilities of CFA charterholders is CORRECT? CFA charterholders:
A)
must comply with the laws and rules governing their profession and must not engage in any individual behavior that reflects adversely on the entire profession.
B)
are only obligated to comply with securities laws in the U.S.
C)
need not comply with the laws and rules governing their profession or must not engage in any individual behavior that reflects adversely on the entire profession.

CFA charterholders must comply with the laws and rules governing their profession and must not engage in any individual behavior that reflects adversely on the entire profession. While they should act honorably and follow U.S. securities laws, they are obligated to more than that, as set forth in the Code and Standards.

According to the CFA Institute Standards of Professional Conduct, Standard I(A), Knowledge of the Law, members shall not knowingly participate or assist in any violations of laws, rules, or regulations. An analyst:
A)
is held responsible for participating in illegal acts when the law is evident to anyone knowing the law and is held responsible for violations by others when the analyst is unaware of the facts giving rise to the violation.
B)
must report all legal violations to the proper regulatory commission and is held responsible for participating in illegal acts when the law is evident to anyone knowing the law.
C)
is held responsible for participating in illegal acts when the law is evident to anyone knowing the law and can participate in a violation by having knowledge of the violation and taking no action to stop it or disassociate from it.

If you suspect someone is planning or engaging in illegal activities, you should:
  • Determine the legality of the activities. Consult your supervisor and legal counsel.
  • Take appropriate action. Disassociate, attempt to persuade the perpetrator to stop. CFA Institute does not require you to report them to the authorities, but the law might.

Shortly after becoming employed by Valco & Co., an investment banking firm, Stan McDowell, CFA, learns that most of Valco's initial public offerings (IPO) are really effected in order to profit management via price manipulation of the shares. McDowell observes an illegal act, sanctioned by senior management, in progress and refuses to sign off on his responsibility. Instead, McDowell takes the documentation to his supervisor and tells him he should sign it in his place. This action is:
A)
an overreaction. Senior management's sanctioning of the act absolves McDowell from his ordinary responsibility as a CFA Institute member.
B)
a suitable reaction, and he is in compliance with the Code and Standards.
C)
a violation of the Code and Standards since he is required not to knowingly participate or assist in such an act.

McDowell, by his action in taking the documentation to his supervisor, is knowingly participating in and/or assisting in an illegal act. This is clearly prohibited under Standard I(A), and he is in violation of the Standard.

A CFA Institute member works for Secure Securities, Inc., and plays rugby on the firm’s rugby team. Secure Securities’ team recently played the team of a rival firm. During the game, a fight broke out and the CFA Institute member was the instigator, but no one was seriously hurt. Is this a violation of I(A) concerning maintaining knowledge and complying with laws, rules, and regulations?
A)
No, because a fight at a rugby game is not a professional activity.
B)
Yes, because the member is bound by the Code of Ethics.
C)
Yes, because the member could have hurt someone in the fight.

Standard I(A) covers members' professional activity only. Violations outside professional activity that involve fraud, theft or deceit would potentially be violations.

Allen Parsons, a CFA candidate, suspects a colleague at his firm of engaging in an illegal activity. Which of the following statements about procedures for compliance involving Standard I(A), Knowledge of the law is NOT correct? Parsons:
A)
should urge his firm to attempt to persuade the perpetrator to cease such conduct.
B)
is required to report this legal violation to the appropriate governmental or regulatory organizations.
C)
should consult counsel to determine whether the conduct is, in fact, illegal.

Standard I(A), Knowledge of the law, does not require that Parsons report legal violations to the appropriate governmental or regulatory organizations, but such disclosures may be appropriate under certain circumstances.

Janet Green, CFA, provides investment advice and other services to clients in several countries. She resides in Country A whose securities laws and regulations are less strict than the Code and Standards. She also conducts business with clients in Country B, which has no securities laws or regulations, and in Country C, which has securities laws and regulations that are stricter than the Code and Standards. Which of the following statements is CORRECT? According to CFA Institute Standards of Professional Conduct, Green must adhere to the Code and Standards in:
A)
Country A, Country B, and Country C.
B)
Country A but the law in Country B and Country C.
C)
Country A and Country B but the law in Country C.

Green needs to follow Standard I(A) -- Knowledge of the law. In Country A, Green must adhere to the Code and Standards because Country A’s laws are less strict. In Country B, Green must also adheres to the Code and Standards because Country B has no securities laws. Because Country C’s applicable law is stricter than the requirements of the Code and Standards, Green must adhere to the laws of Country C.

Jason Blackwell, CFA, works as an investment manager for Mega Capital, a large multinational brokerage firm. He resides in a country whose applicable law is stricter than the Code and Standards but does business with clients in a country whose applicable law is less strict than the Code and Standards. Blackwell decides to follow the Code and Standards for clients in the less strict country. While Blackwell is still employed at Mega, Lego Associates verbally asks Blackwell to review client portfolios during evenings and weekends for a fee. Blackwell gets written consent from his immediate supervisor at Mega to undertake this independent activity for a one-month trial basis.Which of the following statements about Blackwell’s actions involving Standard I, Professionalism, and Standard IV(A), Loyalty is most accurate? Blackwell:
A)
violated both Standard I and Standard IV(A).
B)
did not violate either Standard I or Standard IV(A).
C)
violated Standard I but did not violate Standard IV(A).

Blackwell violated Standard I, Professionalism. Because the applicable laws in his resident county were stricter than the Code and Standards, he must adhere to the more strict applicable law.

What is the rule of thumb for members, CFA charterholders and candidates in the CFA program when weighing the requirements of the CFA Institute Code and Standards and the requirements of local laws? If the applicable laws are:
A)
less strict, they should make a judgment call on which to follow, the Code and Standards or the local laws and requirements.
B)
more strict, they must still follow the Code and Standards.
C)
more strict, they must adhere to the applicable laws.

The rule of thumb for members, CFA charterholders and candidates in the CFA program requires that they adhere to the applicable laws if the applicable laws are more strict than the requirements of the Code and Standards. If there are no laws or the laws are less strict, they must adhere to the Code and Standards.

Josh LeBlanc, a CFA charterholder, is an investment analyst for a small stock brokerage firm. He wants to acquire and maintain knowledge about applicable laws, rules, and regulations relating to his professional activities. According to the CFA Institute Standards of Professional Conduct, which of the following ways is least likely to meet compliance procedures?
A)
Review written compliance procedures on a regular basis.
B)
Keep informed about changes in applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
C)
Rely on past practices followed within his firm.

LeBlanc should follow the compliance procedures under Standard IA -- Knowledge of the law. Relying on his firm’s past practices may be insufficient for LeBlanc to stay current with changes in applicable laws, rules, and regulations.

返回列表
上一主题:Ethical and Professional Standards 【Reading 3】
下一主题:Ethical and Professional Standards 【R1】习题精选