返回列表 发帖

Work Experience Question

I work as a back office financial planner, and support financial advisors with financial planning. I put together financial plans and asset allocations for their clients. Will this work count towards experience for CFA charter?

Please help me guys…I like my current job but feel it is time to take the next step, the direction depends on whether this line of work makes the cut or not.

might work if you not mention back office )

I believe that almost any finance-related work experience could be accepted (or rejected) by the CFAI.  It will depend a lot on how you choose to describe your work experience.  
If the work experience description that you submit to the CFAI matches up closely with the CFAI’s “qualifying work experience” requirements, it is likely to get approved.
—-
To be recommended for regular membership you must have completed four years (48 months) of qualifying work experience in activities that consist to a majority extent of:
Evaluating or applying financial, economic, and/or statistical data as part of the investment decision-making process involving securities or similar investments, which includes, but is not limited to, publicly traded and privately placed stocks, bonds, and mortgages and their derivatives; commodity-based derivatives and mutual funds; and other investment assets, such as real estate and commodities, if these other investment assets are held as part of a diversified, securities-oriented investment portfolio; or
Supervising, directly or indirectly, persons who practice such activities; or
Teaching such activities.

Thanks Wendy and Preppie….
My analysis is basis of recommendations that are made to clients, so if I word it right, without mentioning back office like Preppie said, I guess it should work…..

Choose jobs first, then decide whether CFA works. Not the other way around…

While nobody can tell you 100% if you work experience will be approved, I strongly believe that your work experience qualifies.
As long as you make it clear that your work was the basis leading to investment decisions and that your work added relevant value to the investment making process through asset allocation strategies and investment research, and that your work was not just a reporting / input data work, you will be able to get it aproved. I had similar backround for part of my work experience and it was approved.

i dont think the experience should qualify (no back office role should), but if you lie, they will give you your letters

I do not interact with clients directly but work closely with Financial Advisors, I discuss the cases with them, then put together the asset allocation, Invstment Policy Statements, retirement income and spending plans, Estate plans, as need be, work with advisors to fine tune it, before it is presented to the clients. And then do the final adjustments to suit client needs before it implemented.

pittgal wrote:I do not interact with clients directly but work closely with Financial Advisors, I discuss the cases with them, then put together the asset allocation, Invstment Policy Statements, retirement income and spending plans, Estate plans, as need be, work with advisors to fine tune it, before it is presented to the clients. And then do the final adjustments to suit client needs before it implemented.
I think that itself should qualify becuase it sounded quite related to L3 cirriculum. You can elaborate how you put your IPS together, including analysing the investment horizon or analysize risk tolerence by assessing client’s ability to take risk and its willing to take risk, etc etc

返回列表