上一主题:跪求 2013 Level 3 的quicksheet
下一主题:关于护照到期日问题
返回列表 发帖

Need advice for career

I graduated from a good state university 2 years ago with 3.8 GPA. And I finished CFA level 2. Currently, I am working as financial analyst in a healthcare consulting firm (very small, and operation is loose, people read news;listen to music when work…). I am thinking of breaking the ice into the real finance area, and my deep heart is consistently telling me to get out of my current place.
But I have no idea- that where should I start searching. I am interested in fixed income, equity and A&D. I can work/study very hard and deep, good at logic, critical thinking… Can you guys pls provide some advices?

Not impossible but would be tough.  I would go for top 10 mba.

Thanks bro. I know it’s tough. But I am afraid my work experience will be a block (I don’t think I learn much in it except some software skills) to go top 10 mba. Do you think it’s a good way to stufy financial engineering in a top tier school?

You must be new to the forum.
Won’t be long before somebody tells you that your degree is sht because it’s from a state school.  And if you don’t get into Harvard, you should cut your nuts off.  Don’t you dare go to one of those “lesser” schools like NYU or Northwester, because then you’re doomed to a life of picking up garbage on the side of the street.  Anything lese than Harvard is not worthy of pssing on.
My .02 - get into the best grad school you can.  Even if you have to study pretty hard for the GMAT and it takes a couple of years to shore up your resume, you should try to get into a good school where you can be recruited by a good firm.
I’ll leave it up to you to decide what constitutes a “good” school.

I was just describing my background. It doesn’t matter of whether I dare or not. Thank you for your 2 cents, but you should be more polite and less misanthropic when talking in the forum, even if your words do make some sense.
BTW, I got 700+ in GMAT and I don’t think it is imporssible to go to a top tier, if not top 10 school.

I never really understood this s**t with going to schools all your life. Network my friend no matter what, on the other side of the table its always going to be a human being. See great investors / traders / money managers, some of them have shockingly different backgrounds. I would rather work on my comunication skills, make alots of friends, network, look for seminars, industry events, cold calling…. though its a personal opinions I think too many credentials also don’t take us anywhere.

yea Greenie, not being polite.

I think to break into real finance area, you need first to “fix” your work experience. Your work place is not a bad place to (start) your career. If i were you, i would try to take similar work first, but in a BIGGER company! i prefer multinational companies. Having a good company name in your CV is more important than the work itself.

@fight4life said “Having a good company name in your CV is more important than the work itself.”
Agree. Also it is important to have a good designation , of course, not irrespective of how much and what   you do. I have seen ‘Territory Manager’ in cvs of candidates being interviewed and sounded impressive for the newbee (on probing was told he is ‘Territory Manager” for a patricular wing of a shopping plaza having 20 shops!). Magnitude and importance of work (i.e. what you do) does matter whether in a big or a small enterprise.

To Greenies defense, he wasn’t saying that was his opinion…he was saying that’s what a lot of people on this forum say. His real opinion is his .02. In fact, I remember Greenie defends the Top 30 schools…I defend top 10 all the way down to NYU….forget anything past that.

返回列表
上一主题:跪求 2013 Level 3 的quicksheet
下一主题:关于护照到期日问题