Board logo

标题: December 2011 [打印本页]

作者: EastCoastJ    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36     标题: December 2011

Do you think it's reasonable to start preparing now?

I'm planning on using CFAI materials, work 7am-7pm internship, and going back for senior year of college in Sep.
作者: Maddin    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

In terms of internship/job interview success in January, is it worth ruining Fall semester to pass L1 in Dec?
作者: Siddimaula    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

People do it while working, while in school, its just a grind. I'm working full time, most of the time heavier hours. You just have to change your lifestyle and it can be done.

You are giving your self plenty of time to study for December. I say give it a shot.
作者: mnieman    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

Forgot to mention, I'm planning to use only CFAI materials. Would December still be a reach, given internship/school?
作者: siavosh    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

Yes.
You have 6 Months to prepare... I would suggest 3rd party material as it is helpful in linking and presenting some common material together.

However, many people have only used the CFAI material and passed.
作者: pogo    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

You can do it, but Elan/Schweser/stalla do make it a lot easier
作者: kamara5    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

I started studying for Dec. 2010 on June 1st and passed. It's unbelievable how much time there is if you actually study and don't screw around. However, if you think you are going to pass which you should, I would start studying for level 2 now because that test is a beast!!!
作者: Mechanic    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

atomicrooster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I started studying for Dec. 2010 on June 1st and
> passed. It's unbelievable how much time there is
> if you actually study and don't screw around.
> However, if you think you are going to pass which
> you should, I would start studying for level 2 now
> because that test is a beast!!!

I don't think you can register for Level II until you tame Level I. Also, I think next year's Level II material will be refreshed after the June exam, so I kinda miss your point as to how this would be achievable!?
作者: kasinkei    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

atomicrooster, did you use CFAI only? Also, Oyster is right about LII registration.
作者: joemoran    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

Actually it was a joke (see the "!!!"). I'm studying for level 2 now and it is considerably harder than level 1, I wish I had the extra time. Anyway, I used Stalla & CFAI EOC's; however, I believe the Mock was the tool that put me over the mark. As far as time commitments, I worked a 60hr / week finance job, was married with a 3-9 month old daughter and for good measure I took a FSA class at the University on Tues. nights for 4 hours. Got an A too! :-)

Back to my original point. You Can Do It!
作者: spartanag07    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

I regretfully started studying for level 2 in Feb this year after I learned the news of passing.
作者: Flok    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

atomicrooster Wrote:
> I regretfully started studying for level 2 in Feb
> this year after I learned the news of passing.

And how far are you through the LII material? You enrolled in Stalla/Schweser? I'd think you still have your 60hr job? I guess I'm asking because a buddy and I are going to be in a similar position, assuming we make it through L1 in December. Thanks.
作者: evolsteevol    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

I did Schweser this time (prefer Stalla). I finished all the material in mid April and logged over 250+ hours so far. It's not from a lack of trying, level 2 just has 3 times everything level 1 has and the questions are not as straight forward. So you can know the formula but if you don't get the right information from the item-set you are screwed. Just learning how to pull the correct information takes some time and in order to do so you need to know the topic cold.

I still have the job and the kid is older, walking now:-). I'd say go for it, study hard and get it over with. The thing I keep telling myself is that I have to know the material so either I study now or study later I still have to put in the time to learn the material no matter which one I choose. If I don't pass this year I'm just way ahead for next year!
作者: sdada    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

I was thinking the same thing - enroll in Stalla and study as much as I can. If I flunk in June, Ill be semi-prepped for the following year.

Thanks for the motivation. Good luck for the June exam. Hope you guys pass!
作者: MythosHF    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

You have 6 months. That is a lot of time. I don't think you should have any difficulty passing if you put forth a reasonable effort. For study material I suggest reading the CFAI Books (go right to the source). The only problem is the lack of questions so consider the Schweser QBank (3000+ Questions) or something similar. From what I've read the best way to tackle the first exam is A LOT of questions. Also, flashcards are key! Use them for forumlas, important definitions and relationships between things. I have a stack sitting next to me in my cube right now and I flip through them periodically. I started studying on March 1st and I'm taking the exam on June 4th. Getting mid 70s on the CFA Mock Exam/QBank Exams. Hope this helps.
作者: marsilni    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

infact i was just wondering if someone could possibly email me the Qbank or practice questions if those are available in a format that could be emailed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 12:55PM by Gypsy.
作者: ishfaque    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

i am also planning for June 2012. wanted to do in december but already have some educational commitment for november this year.
this thread gives some really helpful info.
作者: Kiakaha    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

Atomicrooster:

What was your weekly plan? I am completely overloaded by work, taking L1 in Dec and now somewhere around 75% of E&QM... trying to study 2 hours a day and 12 in total on a weekend, but as we all know, it is sometimes impossible to stick to the plan... don't have a child though...huge bow for you man!
作者: JoeyDVivre    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

I did a reading every week for 16 weeks with the EOC's and passmaster questions. By the end of September I was done with all the readings and ready for review. I also took a class at the local University since I did not take Accounting in college. I think this helped a lot even though the entire semester was covered in the first chapter of the CFAI book. But it kept FSA front and center the entire study period. After the readings I did all of the exams in book 1 of Stalla and a Schweser live mock (I bombed this). I made 200+ flashcards and hit the CFAI mock which I thought was very good indicator of the exam. All in all, I just wanted it really bad and made studying a priority although on Saturday it came second to college football (Geaux Tigers!).
作者: kd26gioi    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

kirso Wrote:
> Atomicrooster:
>
> What was your weekly plan? I am completely
> overloaded by work, taking L1 in Dec and now
> somewhere around 75% of E&QM... trying to study 2
> hours a day and 12 in total on a weekend, but as
> we all know, it is sometimes impossible to stick
> to the plan... don't have a child though...huge
> bow for you man!

WTF is E&QM? Elan?
作者: Penny-wenny    时间: 2011-7-13 16:36

@Gypsy: Elan's stuff was very good IMHO. Their practice questions are PDFs that can be printed. No one in their right mind would email you their stuff because they are watermarked with your name on it! I suggest you just check out the freebies in their trial offer. Thats enough material for you to make the call.

Oyster Wrote:

> WTF is E&QM? Elan?

Ethics and Quantitative methods?

欢迎光临 CFA论坛 (http://forum.theanalystspace.com/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2