Board logo

标题: Level II Schweser vs. CFAI text. Asking LIIIers. [打印本页]

作者: Muddahudda    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41     标题: Level II Schweser vs. CFAI text. Asking LIIIers.

It would be of great help to me (on Level II) to get input from level IIIers in respect to CFAI text vs. Schweser. The most intriguing question: did anyone pass Level II w/ Schweser alone? For the rest of you, what do you feel is the optimal mix?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
作者: Iginla2011    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

I personally found combining the two quite effective, Schweser will give you a good guideline to focus your efforts because the material basically outlines LOS by LOS, while on the other hand you might easily get lost in irrelevant stuff in the CFA texts. I used about 80% Schweser and I felt well prepared going into the exam. Your game plan also depends on your background, I would say I used Schweser exclusively on the following sections, Equities,FSA,Economics,Corporate Finance,Alternative Investments and Quants. Having said that I had to do end of charpter questions in the texts and you could also read the summaries in the texts just to cement the principles. I personally did not think Schweser did a good job on Derivatives and Fixed Income, Derivatives are a littlle bit of pain to study with all the crazy formulars and stuff but they are easy points come exam day so don't neglect them, I found CFA texts end of chapter on Derivatives absolutely useful (Swaptions are sweet in the texts if you do all the questions the complicated formulars will all make sense). PM has been kinda tricky in the past two exams so you wanna have a look at both the texts. Just to let you know, during the exam time was not an issue so its important to have a very good understanding of the underlying principles and the exam will be a walk in the park.
作者: cityboy    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

I used both, and I would highly recommend doing the same.
作者: thommo77    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

i used almost all schweser for the readings. but i did every vignette/multiple choice problems in the text to supplement the readings. i know that schweser is supposed to be the supplement, but it was the other way around for me.
作者: infinitybenzo    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

i would stick with schweser so you can spend more time doing problems. I would recommend doing all the questions in the CFAI text. only use the CFAI text for concepts you are having trouble with, otherwise you can get bogged down in minutia...
作者: pennyless    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

I passed level I and level II using only schweser. probably will do the same with level III.
作者: dyga    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

Schweser all the way. Did do the CFAI mock exams, though to get in the right frame of mind.
作者: PalacioHill    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

My recommendation is to use mostly Schweser. It takes a LONG time to slog through the CFA material and a lot of it is not tested. That said, ask around/keep your eyes open on the forum and you should be able to hear about certain sections that are better to read CFAI books on instead of Schweser. Portfolio Management is a section that comes to mind that it helped me out tremendously to use the big books.
作者: mik82    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

Wow! These posts are surprising. I used only CFAI text for LI. It was an excruciating experience.
作者: justin88    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

I used Schweser almost exclusively to study.

I did do the CFAi mock exams however, and then used the CFAi books to review the questions I got wrong on those mock exams. They tell you the pages to read in reference to questions - right or wrong I believe.
作者: Chuckrox    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

I only used Schweser for 1 and 2. I think what helped me most was taking every practice exam and timing myself. I got some of my lowest scores the week before the exam, so I would suggest just putting your head down and getting through all the exams that Schweser gives you as well as CFAI exams on their website...and don't focus too much on what scores you are getting.
作者: oneboy    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

I passed, and used strictly CFAI, but skipped a lot of the "background" reading in the CFAI texts. I would especially encourage this for the Financial Statement Analysis section. The questions on L-II were very much like the CFAI practice questions, and I thought it was pretty easy. A lot of the questions on L-II reminded me of practice questions on the CFAI text, but the problem is just retaining all that info.

I also used the Schweser Q-Bank to supplement my studies, and that was very helpful.

I think it just depends on how much time you have and how easily you retain things. What made the test difficult, in my opinion, was the amount of stuff that you have to remember. Conceptually, a lot of the info is not that difficult, it is just a lot.
作者: mar350    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

I used only Schweser and Secret Sauce and I found the exam to be quite straight forward. I managed to finish the exam with 30 minutes to spare (both in the morning and afternoon exams).

People say CFA level II is the hardest, but my honest opinion is that CFA level III is the real beast. But again, this is only my opinion.
作者: bboo    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

I used CFAI alone for ethics and Schweser alone for everything else.
作者: infinitybenzo    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

Wow! Thanks for all of the feedback. And yes...I have the Schweser stuff now! Looks fantastic so far.
作者: Windjammer    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

at last a discussion which says that schweser is not all that bad if all that one wants to do is pass level 2.
作者: ll11    时间: 2011-7-13 16:41

yes put posts are old. It would be nice to see if this still holds true

欢迎光临 CFA论坛 (http://forum.theanalystspace.com/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2