Board logo

标题: CFA to MBA [打印本页]

作者: shootingstar    时间: 2011-10-14 05:29     标题: CFA to MBA

Hi everyone!

I have just graduated in Finance and I am now working for a boutique in corporate finance. I have just passed CFA level 1 last June and I plan to enroll for level 2 next June. In some years, I would like to do a good MBA in order to work in consulting or PE
I would like to know how CFA could be usefull to break into good MBA?
I am 22 years old. So, in addition to my full time job (50h/week), I could do CFA level 2 in June 2012, CFA level3 in june 2013 and finally GMAT. What do you think? Is it too hard?
作者: ohai    时间: 2011-10-14 05:35

Thanks in advance
作者: giants2010    时间: 2011-10-14 05:40

hugo1906 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to know how CFA could be usefull to
> break into good MBA?

It won't be helpful. In fact you will probably be disappointed there's a decent # of people that won't know much about the CFA at all
作者: RepoToronto    时间: 2011-10-14 05:46

ChickenTikka Wrote:
> Columbia admissions chick said to the Indian guy
> who asked that at the admissions session, "CFA
> Yeah, we don't care that much about that."
>
> In any case, I've finally solved it:
>
> Being Born Wealthy > Being Jewish or WASPY > Born
> Pretty > Top 5 MBA > CFA > Avg MBA > Born middle
> class > Born lower class > Born in crack house >
> Born middleclass in Asia and working in IT but
> looking to switch to buyside

Hope this helps.
作者: laurab    时间: 2011-10-14 05:51

Yeah the CFA thing is pretty much not that useful to the admissions people. They want unique snowflakes with massive gmats. Be a unique snowflake with a massive gmat.
作者: former    时间: 2011-10-14 05:57

what do you mean by snowflake? confused :0
作者: jmh530    时间: 2011-10-14 06:02

No two snowflakes are exactly the same.

I mean, have an interesting cool story/job,preferably a well paid one. There is no typical MBA profile with regards to job or qualification.

They want you to be interesting, successful, showing leadership, and have a big old GMAT. Notice I didn't mention any qualifications in that last sentence.
作者: Dapper425    时间: 2011-10-14 06:08

In fact, there was an article about the Harvard MBA class this year, and it's quite clear they intentionally accepted much less finance oriented people.

The industry is shrinking
作者: krause2    时间: 2011-10-14 06:14

iteracom Wrote:
> The industry is shrinking

Thank god. I actually think the barriers to entry need to be higher, given the number of clearly unqualified people around. Today I literally got an email from some noob about software updates...clearly not my area. I still told him what to do, because I'm not a dick, but how the f is this guy working in any type of analytical capacity?
作者: spreads    时间: 2011-10-14 06:19

brain_wash_your_face Wrote:
> iteracom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The industry is shrinking
>
Today I literally got
> an email from some noob about software
> updates...clearly not my area. I still told him
> what to do, because I'm not a dick, but how the f
> is this guy working in any type of analytical
> capacity?

You see, this is why the finance industry needs more IT guys from Bangalooru to switch to buy side. Then they can upgrade their own software.
作者: fishmarket    时间: 2011-10-14 06:30

One step at a time, young man.
作者: RMontgomery    时间: 2011-10-14 06:36

If you want to get into a top MBA program, you are better off spending all those hundreds of hours you would have been studying over the next two years for the CFA broadening your resume by volunteering, getting involved in your community, and soaking up the learning and networking from your current position. You can easily pick up the CFA again in a few years if it matters to you and your career post-MBA.

ATH, CFA, CAIA
作者: closelipped    时间: 2011-10-20 03:03

In my opinion, if you want to enter the consulting industry, you should NOT take the CFA exam. CFA is mostly irrelevant with the consultant. For all the consultants I have met (more than a dozen), NONE of them has CFA.

My advice is try to get into the top 10 Business School (in US or in Europe). To my knowledge, studying in a prestigious business school and working for some consulting firm in summer is the fastest shortcut to enter the consulting industry. Or, you have to be very lucky to be hired after the university (cases are very rare). Believe it or not, most consultants I've known want to switch to other industries.
作者: heihuhu999    时间: 2011-11-18 14:07

most consultants I've known want to switch to other industries.

he..many people don't satisfy with his job

欢迎光临 CFA论坛 (http://forum.theanalystspace.com/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2