返回列表 发帖
Which of the following does NOT violate Standard I(D), Misconduct? Roland Lawson, a financial analyst:
A)
is arrested for participating in a nonviolent protest.
B)
committed perjury in connection with a lawsuit against his firm.
C)
drinks excessively during business meetings with clients and returns to work under the influence of alcohol.

Any professional conduct that involves dishonesty, fraud, or deceit is a violation of Standard I(D), Misconduct. One must refrain from activities that reflect poorly on integrity, reputation, trustworthiness, or professional conduct. The focus of the Standard is on professional, not personal, conduct.

Nancy Hall, a candidate in the CFA program, is an analyst for a mutual fund. As part of her job she makes company visits to interview executives. On a recent trip she stayed with her sister instead of at a hotel. In her expenses Hall included a hotel charge of $100, which was less than the amount allowed by her employer. After receiving a check for her expenses, Hall disclosed to her supervisor that she had stayed with her sister instead of at a hotel. She also returned the $100 to her employer. According to CFA Institute Standards of Professional Conduct, which of the following statements best describes Hall's professional conduct?
A)
Hall did not engage in professional misconduct because she eventually disclosed this information and returned the $100 to her employer.
B)
Hall did not engage in professional misconduct because she did not meet all of the requirements to use the CFA designation.
C)
Hall engaged in professional misconduct.

Hall engaged in professional misconduct because her act involved dishonesty, fraud, and deceit.

Nancy Hall, a candidate in the CFA program, is an analyst for a mutual fund. As part of her job she makes company visits to interview executives. On a recent trip she stayed with her sister instead of at a hotel. In her expenses Hall included a hotel charge of $100, which was less than the amount allowed by her employer. After receiving a check for her expenses, Hall disclosed to her supervisor that she had stayed with her sister instead of at a hotel. She also returned the $100 to her employer. According to CFA Institute Standards of Professional Conduct, which of the following statements best describes Hall's professional conduct?
A)
Hall did not engage in professional misconduct because she eventually disclosed this information and returned the $100 to her employer.
B)
Hall did not engage in professional misconduct because she did not meet all of the requirements to use the CFA designation.
C)
Hall engaged in professional misconduct.

Hall engaged in professional misconduct because her act involved dishonesty, fraud, and deceit.

An investment advisor takes a trip for which his firm will pay the expenses. Upon his return he alters some of the numbers on restaurant receipts to inflate the expenses by $64. Is this a violation of Standard I(D)?
A)
No, if such a crime carries less than a one-year prison term.
B)
Yes, because it reflects adversely on the charterholder’s professional reputation.
C)
Yes, because the amount involved is over $50.

Professional conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, or deceit is a direct violation of Standard I(D), Misconduct.

Michael Bellow, CFA, CAIA, is an investment banker who is involved with an initial public offering (IPO) of NewCo. Because this is Bellow’s first involvement in an IPO, he reports to an experienced supervisor. While reviewing past financial statements provided by NewCo, Bellow suspects that NewCo deliberately overstated its earnings for the past several quarters. Bellow seeks the advice of his firm’s highly competent general counsel and follows the advice given without deviation. Based on the general counsel’s advice, Bellow consults his immediate supervisor about the suspected overstatement of earnings. After reviewing the situation, Bellow’s supervisor explains why NewCo’s calculations of its earnings are correct. Bellow realizes that his inexperience and exuberance initially led him to an incorrect conclusion about NewCo’s earnings.
Which of the following statements about Bellow’s actions involving Standard I(A), Knowledge of the law, and Standard I(C), Misrepresentation, is CORRECT? Bellow:
A)
did not violate either Standard I(A) or Standard I(C).
B)
violated both Standard I(A) and Standard I(C).
C)
violated Standard I(A) but did not violate Standard I(C).

Bellow did not violate Standard I(A), Knowledge of the law, because he sought advice of counsel and followed that advice. Bellow did not violate Standard I(C), Misrepresentation, because he made reasonable and diligent efforts to ensure the accuracy of the information and to avoid any material representation.

Which of the following statements about the responsibilities of CFA charterholders is CORRECT? CFA charterholders:
A)
are only obligated to comply with securities laws in the U.S.
B)
must comply with the laws and rules governing their profession and must not engage in any individual behavior that reflects adversely on the entire profession.
C)
need not comply with the laws and rules governing their profession or must not engage in any individual behavior that reflects adversely on the entire profession.

CFA charterholders must comply with the laws and rules governing their profession and must not engage in any individual behavior that reflects adversely on the entire profession. While they should act honorably and follow U.S. securities laws, they are obligated to more than that, as set forth in the Code and Standards.

According to the CFA Institute Standards of Professional Conduct, Standard I(A), Knowledge of the Law, members shall not knowingly participate or assist in any violations of laws, rules, or regulations. An analyst:
A)
is held responsible for participating in illegal acts when the law is evident to anyone knowing the law and is held responsible for violations by others when the analyst is unaware of the facts giving rise to the violation.
B)
must report all legal violations to the proper regulatory commission and is held responsible for participating in illegal acts when the law is evident to anyone knowing the law.
C)
is held responsible for participating in illegal acts when the law is evident to anyone knowing the law and can participate in a violation by having knowledge of the violation and taking no action to stop it or disassociate from it.

If you suspect someone is planning or engaging in illegal activities, you should:
  • Determine the legality of the activities. Consult your supervisor and legal counsel.
  • Take appropriate action. Disassociate, attempt to persuade the perpetrator to stop. CFA Institute does not require you to report them to the authorities, but the law might.

The SEC’s new stock-trading rule has just gone into effect. The SEC will give brokers a 10-day grace period, during which violators of the rule will be immediately notified and given a chance to remedy their situation to comply with the new rule. If a CFA Institute member unknowingly violates the rule and then remedies the situation within the 10-day grace period, has the member violated Standard I(A)?
A)
No, because the member remedied the situation.
B)
Yes, because the member did not maintain knowledge and know of the rule.
C)
No, because the member unknowingly broke the rule.

Standard I(A) explicitly says that a member shall maintain knowledge and comply with laws, rules, and regulations. By not knowing of the rule, the member broke the standard. If a CFA Institute member accidentally breaks a rule from a careless error and remedies the situation, this would not be a violation of Standard I(A).

Lawrence Kelly is the Chief Investment Officer at a money management company that claims it is in compliance with CFA Institute Soft Dollar Standards. For the first time, the company has purchased securities in the country of Santa Rosa. He learns that under Santa Rosen law, one of the company's soft dollar policies is forbidden, yet to conform with the law, Lawrence would have to violate the Soft Dollar Standards, but not the Standards of Professional Conduct. Lawrence:
A)
must follow the Santa Rosen Law and cease claiming compliance with CFA Institute Soft Dollar Standards.
B)
should follow the Santa Rosen Law and can still claim compliance with CFA Institute Soft Dollar Standards.
C)
must follow the CFA Institute Soft Dollar Standards, informing the Santa Rosen regulators of his reasons.

In cases when the Soft Dollar Standards conflict with local law, managers should follow local law and are still in compliance with the Standards.

Georgia Jones, CFA, is an analyst for Johnson, Thomas & Co. She also serves as an outside director for Dewey Manufacturing, Inc. In the course of her duties, she begins to believe that Dewey’s income statement for the most recent period may have been misstated. Georgia should do all of the following EXCEPT:
A)
inform the Securities and Exchange Commission.
B)
consult with Dewey Manufacturing's legal counsel.
C)
consult with Johnson, Thomas' legal counsel.

Jones must pursue her concerns about a possible misstatement, because, if material, it may be misleading to investors. Consistent with Standard I(A), Jones must not knowingly participate or assist in a regulatory violation. As long as her concerns exist, she must not validate any financial statements by voting to approve them. In addition she should seek competent legal counsel both at her own firm and at Dewey Manufacturing. She should not go to regulatory bodies until she has more certainty about the possible misstatement and has received counsel that she should proceed.

返回列表