返回列表 发帖

Exit Opps out of a Rating Agency - Structured Finance

Hey AF'er

I was wondering if any of you have any input on this -- Would working for S&P or Moody's as an Associate Analyst in Structured Finance group be a good first move out of undergrad? Are there good exit opps? I know rating agency jobs aren't as intense as IBD or S&T but advice from a few on the street is that it could lead to buy side research, Debt Capital Markets, leveraged finance or structured products.... I'd appreciate AF input on this

Thanks!

njk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have an opp to join a rating agency as well (not
> structured prods, but more of the traditional corp
> debt prods within a specific sector)
>
> I have <2yrs Ops experience as it stands, and
> haven't been having much luck getting into
> research sell or buyside. I'm thinking this may be
> my best shot to get some analytical / research
> experience pertaining to the markets / businesses
>
> thoughts?

I am in a similar position as you, I would take the opportunity in a heart beat, It is better than what you are currently doing it is also more intellectually stimulating and you have a better chance at developing the analytical skill-set you need in finance then remaining in OPS.

I think a rating agency is a decent option, especially if coming from ops. I've known some that go to top business schools from rating agencies, and even one that went to a rating agency after his Chicago MBA.

I have an opp to join a rating agency as well (not structured prods, but more of the traditional corp debt prods within a specific sector)

I have <2yrs Ops experience as it stands, and haven't been having much luck getting into research sell or buyside. I'm thinking this may be my best shot to get some analytical / research experience pertaining to the markets / businesses

thoughts?

that's fair... Thanks for your 2 cents... I very much appreciate it.

He or she has engaged in a lot of hyperbole recently, such that it's difficult to take his or her views seriously in my opinion.

I'm no expert, but for what it's worth I'd say that a rating agency is not the best launching pad for a career like you want (and there is something to what SR says about rating agencies, although I think he or she exaggerates), but presumably if your role at an agency allows you to become an expert regarding one or more particular products that should result in some opportunities.

I'm new to the forum... I'm not sure what you mean... does SuperiorReturn have a bad rep on AF?

consider the source dude

SuperiorReturn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the rating agencies are considered the lowest of
> the low in the finance industry
> i dont think a jump straight to buyside is
> possible

I'm curious as to what you're basing this on and if this is the prevailing opinion on AF... I find it a little strange because from what I've heard it's a pretty good place to develop/learn the ins and outs of financial research.. wouldn't banks/buy side see value in the fact that they wouldn't have to train you as intensively?

the rating agencies are considered the lowest of the low in the finance industry
i dont think a jump straight to buyside is possible

返回列表